In the decade between 1950 and 1960, South Burlington grew a surprising 11%, surpassing even neighboring Burlington’s growth rate of 7% during the same time due to the number of farmers who found it profitable to cut up their acreage into building lots which still sold for far less than building lots in Burlington (The Chittenden County Historical Society 1975). In 1940, Vermont census records show a total population of 1,736 residents in South Burlington. This number had nearly quadrupled by the 1960 census which reported 6,903 residents.
Today’s city planners continue to struggle with the challenge of creating a city center for this city which has lacked a true geographic center since it separated from Burlington in 1865 (P. Conner, personal communication, January 12, 2009) as the city’s growth has continued at a steady pace. The population of South Burlington in 2007 measured 17,445 residents.