South Burlington has a somewhat different history than most of the rest of Vermont. It was not until 1865 that it became its own town, and more recently in 1971 was it incorporated as a City. As with most of Champlain Valley, save Mt. Philo and the hill on which UVM sits, most of the area would have been flooded with first salt water and later fresh water. Indians have made use of the land now known as South Burlington for at least 500 years, but likely much longer (human evidence has been found in nearby Williston that dates back 11000 years). There are clues written throughout the landscape, even in the City’s name, that only begin to speak of the human history.