Message from the SEMBA Director
We are totally delighted that you are considering the one-year, accelerated UVM Sustainable Entrepreneurship MBA (SEMBA) program. The SEMBA program, by bringing together the best faculty and most successful entrepreneurs in Vermont, offers a unique, innovative, and exciting curriculum. We promise to deliver an experience that will represent an inflection point and accelerator in your career development; a fascinating, challenging, and highly relevant experience.
We want to impact, in a significant way, your understanding and approach to management and decision making. We want you to think of business as an integral part of the solution to the world’s current problems of unequal prosperity, climate change, access to clean water and air, inexpensive and renewable energy sources. The University of Vermont’s School of Business has offered a traditional MBA for over thirty years. We decided to redesign our program to meet the specific challenges of current times. We have totally reengineered our curriculum and centered it on sustainable business. We have kept our commitment to excellence in education, our terrific faculty, the small size of our classes and our long proven record of graduating successful entrepreneurs.
The UVM SEMBA is an accelerated, full-time 12-month program (August-to-August) including a three month practicum consisting of starting or expanding a new sustainable business. The program requires a total of 45 credit hours (after all prerequisites are met), including a three-hour online orientation course in late Summer before the residential portion of the program starts.
There are several differences between traditional MBA programs and UVM’s SEMBA program: The program is built on the notion of sustainability and entrepreneurship from the ground-up; sustainability is not just a set of “bolt-on” electives, it is at the core of the program and addressed in every single course; courses share educational material and cases across disciplines and deal with issues of sustainable development; entrepreneurs that have built successful, sustainable businesses will share the classroom with our excellent faculty; faculty will include professors from the Business School, and the nationally top-ranked Rubenstein School of the Environment and Natural Resources, and the Vermont Law School.
You can expect the following from our program:
- Relevance and Innovation. We provide a curriculum that is academically-sound, cutting-edge, and imminently practical. Our curriculum is innovative in its format and its delivery.
- Rigor and Commitment. We provide a program that is rigorous. We expect you to be stretched and to grow. You will be surrounded by individuals that want to make a difference. You will be taught by people that have made a difference.
- Excitement and Passion. Our award-winning faculty is not only highly knowledgeable and professional but totally committed to deliver a program of great distinction. We believe in what we teach; we live it with passion.
- Intimacy. The program will only have no more than 60 participants. Each student will get personalized attention and you will get to know your class cohort, made of some amazing people like yourself, very well.
- Beauty and Adventure. Burlington has been rated one of the most beautiful cities in the US, rated a one best small cities in the US in terms of quality of life and access to outdoor adventure.
- Affordability. Our tuition for the entire MBA program is lower than any of our competitors. And we offer generous financial aid.
You are to be congratulated for considering an MBA degree. It requires courage and commitment to redirect one’s career. We believe that your decision to participate in the University of Vermont’s new MBA program on Sustainable Entrepreneurship (SEMBA) will be a critical step in your professional development. You will make many investments during your lifetime but we believe that few of them will have the impact of pursuing the UVM SEMBA. After all, you are making a decision to invest in yourself. Please let us know how we can help you as you make this important decision.
Our current students, alumni and faculty invite you to join the change agents and leaders of tomorrow by enrolling in UVM’s SEMBA program today! Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
William Cats-Baril, PhD
Director, MBA Program
School of Business Administration
University of Vermont
Last modified November 14 2013 12:58 PM