parking lot

UVM campus lots are enforced for parking permits during restricted hours, which are clearly displayed on signs at the entrances to campus lots.

Student parking permits are defined as either residential (on-campus residence) or commuter (off-campus residence).

Communication concerning parking announcements are sent to university email accounts containing a reference to our website. i. Parking options are  offered with deadlines, and in most circumstances, first-come, first-served unless notied otherwise. Please monitor your email regularly for updates. Also note the announcements at our home page for current information on parking enforcement.

Eligibility  to purchase  a parking permit is determined by the student's local address and class status. Verification of the address on a student's application is necessary either by data imported by the Department of Residential Life, or in the case of commuters, by a copy of a signed lease or two pieces of mail addressed to the applicant.

Please scroll through the choices on this page to identify the parking permit that applies to you, select the appropriate permit and review the details. Please note: there is a section for commuter permits as well as a section for campus resident permits. There is a link for each type of permit for more information and to apply for the permit.

NEW: All student applicants must complete the "TPS 001: Parking Permit Course". A copy of the 'Certificate of Completion' must be attached to all parking permit applications.


2020-2021 Commuter Student Parking Permit Information

First, to determine which commuter permit is relevant, consider eligibility requirements, then select the link which applies to you below.

COMMUTER BROWN and COMMUTER EVENING: ELIGIBILITY IS ADDRESS DEPENDENT.  University policy prohibits us from issuing Commuter Brown permits to students whose local address is within the area enclosed by the blue circle on the Commuter Evening Map (PDF). Campus is accessible to students who reside in this area by other means, including public transportation. If your local address is within the blue circle you must select a "Commuter Evening" permit.

Proof of residency is required if applying for a Commuter Brown. Please be prepared to show a lease agreement or two CURRENT pieces of mail (example: current utility bill) with your name on them confirming residence when picking up a purchased permit or applying for a permit in our office. Please read the agreement carefully when you apply. It is a declaration you understand you must not misrepresent your local address in order to obtain a parking permit you do not qualify for. Misrepresenting your address is a parking violation, with University sanctions, including, but not limited to, a referral to the Center for Student Conduct and your revocation of parking eligibility.

Click here for more information on the Commuter Brown Parking Permit
Click here for more information on the Commuter Evening Parking Permit (Gold)
(limited daytime, evenings)

COMMUTER YELLOW: 3rd and 4th YEAR MEDICAL STUDENTS ONLY. In order to be eligible for this type of commuter permit, a student must have 3rd or 4th year medical student status.

Click here for more information on the Commuter Yellow Parking Permit  (3rd & 4th Year Medical Students)

2020-2021 Residential Student Parking Permit Information

At the begining of the academic year, two parking permit options were available to students who live in campus resident halls.  Off-site lot parking or residential lot campus parking.

Spring 2021...Attention! Temporary Location Change!! The lot located at 351 Pine Street is currently unavailable.  Eligible students who purchased the Off-Site permit in the fall will be assigned to park in the Gutterson Garage on the Athletic Campus. This is the only area the Off-Site permit is valid at this time.

Click here for information on the Off-Site Residential Parking Permit

OR,  parking for three on campus residential parking areas:

RESIDENT RED (NEW: RESIDENT BLUE HAS BEEN COMBINED INTO THE RESIDENT RED AREA) For campus residents living in the following residential areas: Redstone Campus addresses (Wing-Davis-Wilks; Christie-Wright-Patterson; Simpson-Mason-Hamilton; Slade; Coolidge, Redstone) and (NEW!) Athletic Campus addresses (Harris-Millis; Marsh-Austin-Tupper; University Heights; Living/Learning.

Click here for information on the Resident Red Parking Permit

RESIDENT PURPLE For campus residents living in the following residential areas: Trinity Campus addresses (Cottages; McAuley; Mercy; McCann; Hunt; Ready; Sichel; Richardson); Jeanne Mance. 

Click here for information on the Resident Purple Parking Permit

RESIDENT BLACK For campus residents living in the following residential areas: Converse and Central Campus Residence Halls.

Click here for information on the Resident Black Parking Permit

Other commonly asked questions about student parking:

Are exceptions ever made for First Year students to have a parking permit?

The University may grant a waiver in particular circumstances, where a student has:

1) verified and eligible employment need; or

2) verified and approved medical need(s).

Both circumstances require application and verification of eligibility by University authorities. The waiver must be approved prior to parking the vehicle on campus; any citations incurred prior to approval are the responsibility of the student, as is where the vehicle will be parked if the waiver is not approved.

Waivers will not be granted for:

  • Housesitting
  • Illness (personal, friends, or family)
  • Status checks on relatives/friends
  • Continuation of hobbies
  • Unpaid internships
  • Volunteer work

Please follow the links below if you wish to pursue an application for:

I'm a transfer student. Is there anything special I should know regarding parking?

On occasion, transfer student's records of credits and not yet current at the Registrar's office, which is the source of the data that we use to determine student classification. This can sometimes lead to an inappropriate classification, and the data in our records may (falsely) indicate that a transfer student has First Year status. When this occurs, and pursuant to University policy, the student may not appear to be eligible to purchase a parking permit.

Don't worry! Please contact our office if this appears to be the case in your situation. We can review your transcripts, from this an other institutions to verify that you have accrued enough credits to qualify to purchase a permit.  Be prepared to send copies of your transcripts via email so that we can work with you to make sure that your class status is accurately reflected. In order to qualify, a student must have completed two full time semesters at a higher education institution.

I live in Redstone Lofts/Apartments. May I purchase a parking permit?

Tenants or subtenants: UVM parking permits are not available for Redstone Lofts or Redstone Apartments tenants or subtenants.  This includes warehousing.  Please check with your individual main offices for your parking options.

Why do parking permit sales cease, when it looks like there are still empty parking spaces in UVM parking lots?

You may notice there are still empty spaces on campus (equally distributed in residential and employee lots). UVM is obligated to maintain 200 empty parking spaces by the City of Burlington in order to issue UVM construction permits for the expansion of the College of Medicine project slated to begin spring of 2020, in addition to the construction project at Gutterson (Athletics).  These 200 spaces are required with the intention that they will be available for displaced employees and students who already have permits to migrate to during each phase of construction.

Our parking challenges have required us to locate off-site resources for our parking needs, and fortunately, we were able to locate a lot on Pine Street available to us without a significant increase in fees or adding transportation at an additional cost.

What about Move In/Move Out? What is the plan for parking?

The Office of Residential Life reserves the right to specify days and times which students are scheduled to move into or return to residence halls. Traditionally, each semester, this is a Friday for Transfer and First Year students, and the following Sunday for Upperclassmen. Move-out officially occurs the last Friday of the exam periods for the Fall and Spring semesters. Parking Services supports this schedule.


Please adhere to parking directions provided for move-in activity. This includes, but is not limited to, signs at lot entrances, notices placed on vehicles, and e-mail instructions by University departments.

You will not need a parking permit to park in regular spaces in residential lots on Move-In day. To be considerate of others, you must pull up to the residential hall as space allows, remove your items from your vehicle, and move to an alternate space away from the building. Anyone moving into a residential hall during a non-traditional time is encouraged to call the Parking Office for further instruction.

Parking officers will be checking to ensure emergency equipment has access through these areas, as well as the campus shuttle. Parking regulations are enforced as usual in non-residential lots. Enforcement starts on the first day of classes. Visit our website or call our office for extended hours for permit sales and permit sale locations.


You will not need a parking permit to park in regular spaces in residential lots on Move-Out day.  To be considerate of others, you must pull up to the residential hall as space allows, load items into your vehicle, and move to an alternate space away from the building.

Parking officers will be checking to ensure emergency equipment has access through these areas, as well as the campus shuttle. Parking regulations are enforced as usual in non-residential lots.

Students will be receiving further information concerning the Move-Out process in their email account shortly.  We thank you for your patience as we consider all parking options available.  Any available parking will be designated by Parking Services.

I just need a place to store my car. Do you offer an option like that?

This would be considered "warehousing". We do not provide an option for "warehousing" vehicles on a regular basis, but will consider requests on a case by case basis. You must ask for availability by contacting the Parking Services office, and if approved, you must give Parking Services a contact person and phone number to someone who has keys to your vehicle in case it needs to be moved.

When approved, this special permit is sold at a price of $8 per day ($40 per week) and must be parked where designated by Parking Services.

Please note: Commuter permits are not intended for overnight parking.

Do I really need to bring my car to campus? What other options are available?

No, it isn't really that necessary! There are many options provided to students for getting to and from locations near and far. Please click the link below for more information.