Sponsored Project Administration - SPA
Searchable Databases - Pivot Funding & Collaboration Tool
Try a quick search here! Provide a search term in the box and click "Search".
- About Pivot at UVM
- Register for a Pivot User Account
- Use Pivot to Find Funding
- Pivot Automated Alerts
- Use Pivot to Find Collaborators
- Pivot Profiles for UVM Faculty
Pivot is a web-based product that brings together a funding
database known as Community of Science (COS), and a scholar
expertise database, COS Scholar Universe populated with over 3
million scholar profiles including UVM faculty and scholars
worldwide. These profiles are pre-populated with verified
affiliation and publication information. Pivot matches
profiles with suggested funding opportunities and with potential
collaborators at UVM and at other institutions. As the
researcher’s profile information changes and the funding
opportunities are updated, this list will continue to change. The
more detail and the more accurate the profile, the better the
Pivot also offers excellent university liaison support and user guides.
Please contact Hilda Alajajian who will verify whether or not you already have an account and/or can also send a link to reset your login information. Many UVM users already have accounts and may not realize it. This process will avoid creating duplicate accounts.
Any UVM faculty, staff or student may establish a Pivot Account. A Pivot account allows the user to search, track and share funding opportunities and to search the Expertise database for collaborators. UVM faculty and researchers, in addition will have profiles in the system which they may update once they have established a Pivot account, know their login and can then access this profile to update it.
We recommend that you first contact Hilda Alajajian or at 802-656-1322, to quickly establish whether or not you already have an account with Pivot. If you have never created an account for COS follow these instructions:
- Open a web browser and go to the Pivot homepage and Login to Pivot
- Click “Sign Up” in the upper right corner.
- Fill out all fields in the following screen.
- You must use your UVM email address. It becomes your Pivot username.
- Provide a password.
- Click “Create my account” button.
- Go to your email account, open the confirming email and click the “Confirm” link.
- If you have questions or encountered problems while registering, please contact Hilda Alajajian or at 802-656-1322.
Pivot is an online resource which combines a funding database (formerly Community of Science) with a database of scholar profiles (formerly COS Scholar Universe).
While the look of Pivot is new, the information and functionality of the funding database remains the same as the former Community of Science database.
Pivot continues to identify funding information related to research, collaborative activities, travel, curriculum development, conferences, fellowships, post-doctoral positions, equipment acquisition, and operating or capital expenses, among others.
It is updated daily and can be searched by sponsor, amount, dead line, eligibility of applicant, funding type, and area of interest.
Sources of this information include
- federal and regional governments
- professional societies
- Pivot Saved Searches can also function as automatic alerts to
keep the user current with new and updated information
Advanced Search page
- To search for funding opportunities, click on the "Funding Tab" and scroll down the page and click on the "Advanced Search" link.
- The screen is split into two sections.
- The top half is for selecting search criteria you want to include.
- The bottom half is for any selecting criteria you would like to exclude from the search.
- You can make choices in either or both.
The All Fields text boxes
These may be used to search the Abstract, Title or Sponsor fields with a word or phrase of free text.
- To make keyword selections click on the Keyword category and then select "browse".
- To open major subject categories and see the narrower topics, select the plus sign [+].
- By selecting the plus sign you open a category that leads to more keywords.
- Select the term and it will be added to your search query.
- The action of being added to the search query takes a few seconds after clicking on the term, so pause to see the screen "blink" before selecting the next term.
- You may select terms out of more than one major subject category.
- If you can't find a particular word, use the free "search" text box to search for it.
- If it's in the hierarchy it will show you where and you will be able to select it.
- Once you have made all your selections, close the Keyword browser box.
- If you decide you wish to delete a particular term you may do this by unchecking the box next to the keyword you wish to delete.
- Lastly, you will want to uncheck the "Explode" box which would automatically include any keywords listed in the hierarchy underneath your chosen keywords.
To receive automated alerts with targeted opportunities simply
follow the instructions above to create an Advanced Search using
relevant criteria, run the search and then save it. When you
save it you may select to have it "alert" you automatically with
new and updated opportunities. In order to turn on and off
your alerts, click on the Home tab and find the Saved Searches
folder on the left-hand side menu. This will give you access to
all your saved searches and allow you to manipulate them as
Pivot You-Tube Channel for help.
Login to Pivot
Claiming Your Profile
- All scholars at UVM should have a profiles in Pivot, and will want to connect that profile to their account, or “claim" their profile.
- People who do not conduct scholarly research or produce scholarly works (most staff and students) do not have profiles.
- Claiming a scholar's profile allows the scholar to see the Advisor on his/her home page for funding suggestions and also allows the scholar to update his/her profile.
- When logging in, if a scholar's name in the upper right is hyperlinked, their profile has already been claimed and it may be updated by following the instructions below.
- If the name is not hyperlinked and there is an option to “Claim Profile” it has not been claimed and the following steps should be taken:
- Click hyperlinked “Claim Profile” to search for your profile
- Click on the “This is me” button if you see your profile listed
- Pivot will display the email address that is on file for your profile. If the email displayed is still valid, you simply select it. If you no longer have access to the email address, there is an option to notify Pivot of this change and you will fill out a form requesting “Manual Verification” which will be reviewed and validated. You will be able to complete information about your current affiliation including Institution, School, Department and contact information.
We have noted for some people with established accounts that they
are not able to "claim their profile" right away after logging
in. If this is the case, you can either wait a week for the
editors to verify that there is only one account and migrate your
profile to that account or you can contact Hilda Alajajian or at
802-656-1322 to check with the vendor on your account/profile
Updating Your Profile
- Scholars who need pertinent information added to or changed in their profiles, can make certain updates or additions on their own.
- Keeping profiles up-to-date enhances the quality of matches made by the Pivot Advisor.
- You can upload certain types of files that Pivot will index and make searchable.
- Updates now take effect immediately.
2. Click on the “Your Profile” link in the upper right area of your profile page
3. Click "Edit Profile" and it will open up a new browser screen with your profile in edit mode
4. Click "Edit" to open up the sections of your profile you wish to edit
- Fields you can update include:
- Links (Upload a CV or publications list in .pdf, .doc., or .txt format. Documents submitted to your profile are indexed and searchable as are webpages)
- ORCID number
- ISNI number
- Affiliations (past and present)
5. After completing your updates, click "Done" at the top of the
screen and then close the screen. You will be directed to
your previous Pivot screen.
Last modified November 30 2016 03:05 PM