UVM salaried employee‘s holding the following titles:
- All tenured and tenure track faculty
- All clinical and research professors, assistants, associates
- All extension professors, assistants, associates
- Post-Doctoral or Graduate Student fellows on training and fellowship applications, where a UVM PI eligible faculty member is named as a mentor.
- Professionally qualified UVM employees with Department Chair and SPA approval.
Approval Process: The chair submits the approval letter to the Director of SPA at email@example.com, who will review, approve and return. For letter content see the below accordion "Request PI Eligibility". The fully approved letter shall be uploaded to the UVMClick - Funding Proposal, other document section, prior to entering the proposal into the workflow approval process.
Each department shall decide if Emeritus appointees will be allowed to submit proposals and mange awards. If yes, the chair provides an approval that is uploaded to the UVMClick - Funding Proposal, other documents section, prior to entering the proposal into the workflow approval process.
The Emeritus Professor must have an active job in PeopleSoft HR. This active job will allow the Emeritus Professor to manage the award using the UVM accounting system.
Please contact your Department Chair to initiate the appropriate appointment.
New faculty hires who have accepted UVM positions are PI eligible and may submit proposals before they start work.
It is highly recommended that new hires who has accepted a faculty position at UVM coordinate with the department’s HR administrator and have a UVM job entry made as soon as possible.
If a temporary courtesy faculty appointment is created, notifying SPA at firstname.lastname@example.org of their future title will be sufficient for SPA to approve them as a PI, allowing them to submit proposals using UVMClick - Grants prior to starting work.
Individuals in the following categories are not eligible to be a Principal Investigator unless they have written approval from the Department Chair and SPA. The approval letter is uploaded into the UVMClick - Funding Proposal, other documents section. For letter content see the below accordion "Request PI Eligibility".
- Visiting Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty
- Courtesy Faculty
Request PI Eligibility for Non-Eligible Positions
If you find you are in one of the ineligible positions and you would like to be approved as a PI, you must receive Chair and SPA approval as follows:
The Chair or designee must generate an approval letter that clearly states the individual is approved to be a PI.
- The approval letter should be submitted to email@example.com.
- The approval can be in email format or as a pdf attachment.
- The approval should be addressed to SPA’s Director, Sonya Stern.
- If SPA has concerns they will contact the Department Chair or designee.
The approval letter should address the following information:
- Provide the name, qualifications and capabilities of the individual that would allow the person to perform the duties of a PI, such as their ability to supervise staff, manage the project funds, and manage the responsible conduct of research.
- Discuss the importance of the project to the Department.
- Indicate space and facilities are available to support the project.
- Include in the request the name of the individual with PI eligibility that will act as the internal Co-PI on the project and will assume the PI role in case the approved PI cannot fulfill the responsibilities.
SPA will review, approve and return the letter for upload into the UVMClick - Funding Proposal, other document section.