UVM salaried employee‘s holding the following titles:
- All tenured and tenure track faculty
- All clinical and research professors, assistants, associates
- All extension professors, assistants, associates
- Professionally qualified UVM employees with Department Chair approval. If yes, the department approval is captured using the normal InfoEd proposal workflow approval process.
- Post-Doctoral or Graduate Student Fellows on training and fellowship applications, where a faculty member is named as the mentor and who will be the Principal Investigator of record.
Each department shall decide if Emeritus appointees will be allowed to submit proposals and mange awards. If yes, the Department approval is captured using the normal InfoEd workflow approval process when submitting a grant application.
The Emeritus Professor must have an active job in PeopleSoft HR. This active job will allow the Emeritus Professor to manage the award using the UVM accounting system.
Please contact your Department Chair to initiate the appropriate appointment.
New faculty hires who have accepted UVM positions are PI eligible and may submit proposals before they start work. It is highly recommended that new hires who has accepted a faculty position at UVM coordinate with the department’s HR administrator and have a UVM job entry made as soon as possible. If a temporary courtesy faculty appointment is created, notifying SPA at firstname.lastname@example.org of their future title will be sufficient for SPA to approve them as a PI, allowing them to submit proposals prior to starting work.
Individuals in the following categories are not eligible to be a Principal Investigator unless they have a UVM Eligible PI serve as Co-Principal Investigator (internally or as part of the formal grant application) and have written approval from the Department Chair and SPA.
- Visiting Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty
- Courtesy Faculty
Request PI Eligibility for Non-Eligible Positions
To receive approval the following needs to occur:
- Department Chair or their designee should generate and submit the PI Eligibility request to email@example.com.
- The request can be in email format or as a pdf attachment.
- The request should be addressed to SPA’s Director, Sonya Stern.
- Department Chair approval must be included in the request.
- The request address the following information:
- Provide the name, qualifications and capabilities of the individual that would allow the person to perform the duties of a PI, such as their ability to supervise staff, manage the project funds, and manage the responsible conduct of research.
- Discuss the importance of the project to the Department.
- Indicate space and facilities are available to support the project.
- Include in the request the name of the individual with PI eligibility that will act as the internal Co-PI on the project and will assume the PI role in case the approved PI cannot fulfill the responsibilities.