The Kroepsch-Maurice Excellence in Teaching Awards recognize faculty for excellent instruction. They memorialize Robert H. and Ruth M. Kroepsch and her parents, Walter C. and Mary L. Maurice. Robert H. Kroepsch served as Registrar and Dean of Administration at UVM from 1946-56. Ruth Kroepsch graduated from UVM in 1938 and her father, Walter Maurice, graduated from UVM in 1909. All four were teachers. The Kroepsch-Maurice Awards are administered under the authority of the Office of the Provost in support of academic excellence in teaching and learning.
Each year, one faculty member in each of the four rank categories (Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Clinical Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor) receives this honor. Each recipient will receive a taxable cash award of $1,250. Names are displayed on a plaque on the third floor of the Waterman building.
Congratulations to the 2022 Award Recipients!
Chris Danforth, Professor, Mathematics and Statistics
Jason Garbarino, Associate Professor, Nursing
Jay Silveira, Assistant Professor, Biochemistry
Stephen Wadsworth, Lecturer, Animal and Veterinary Sciences
All full-time UVM faculty members engaged in teaching, with the exception of previous award winners, are eligible for the award. Criteria include the following:
- Nominees must teach courses in order to be eligible;
- Excellence in instruction, including creation of an environment conducive to/encouragement of learning;
- Capacity to animate students and engage them in the pursuit of knowledge, understanding, and application;
- Innovation in teaching methods and/or curriculum development;
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity, inclusive excellence and to Advancing Diversity and Inclusion at UVM;
- Ability to motivate, challenge, and inspire students; and
- Adherence to Our Common Ground for lifelong learning: respect, integrity, innovation, openness, justice, and responsibility.
Faculty, staff and students may nominate faculty members for The Kroepsch-Maurice Excellence in Teaching Awards.
Nomination material should be submitted with the "The Kroepsch-Maurice Excellence in Teaching Awards Nomination" as the file name no later than 11:59 PM on February 1st.
The Committee is made up of faculty members representing degree granting colleges or schools and former award recipients. The Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs appoints the Chair of the Committee and its members. The Committee recommends candidates for the award to the Provost. The Provost makes the final decision regarding award recipients.
Award Review Committee 2023-2026
Review Committee Chair: Joan Rosebush (Rosi), Senior Lecturer and Director of Student Success, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, and a recipient of the 2022 George V. Kidder Outstanding Faculty Award and AY1998-1999 Kroepsch-Maurice Lecturer Award.
Review Committee Members:
- Todd Pritchard, Senior Lecturer, Department of Nutrition & Food Sciences, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Deborah Hinchey, Senior Lecturer, Department of Biomedical & Health Sciences, College of Nursing & Health Sciences
- Clayton Cafiero, Senior Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
- Pramodita (Dita) Sharma, Professor, Schlesinger-Grossman Chair of Family Business, Grossman School of Business
- Carmen Petrick Smith, Associate Professor, Department of Education, College of Education & Social Services
- Cynthia Reyes, Associate Professor, Department of Education; Associate Dean for Academic & Faculty Affairs, College of Education & Social Services, 2019 George V. Kidder Outstanding Faculty Award recipient
- Rebecca Wilcox, Professor, Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine; Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, Larner College of Medicine; AY2013-2014 Kroepsch-Maurice Assistant Professor Award recipient
- Joanne Pencak, Lecturer, Grossman School of Business
- December 1, annually: Call for nominations opens.
- February 1, annually: Nominations due.
- February 1 - March 30: Nomination Reviewed by Awards Committee.
- April 1: Awards Committee submits list of finalists to the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs at Jokech@uvm.edu. Copy submissions to Jennifer Diaz (she/her) at Jennifer.Diaz@uvm.edu.
- May 1: The Provost announces award recipients.
For more information
Contact Jennifer Diaz (she/her) at Jennifer.Diaz@uvm.edu