We now have the option to create a “student view” account in Brightspace. This can be useful for checking what you’ve set up in your course. For instance, in the student view account you can submit gradable assignments, take quizzes, see how the grade book looks, view instructor feedback, and otherwise just see what it’s like to interact with your course exactly as your students do. It’s easy to enter and exit the student view with just a couple of clicks.
There are 2 parts to this process.
Step 1 – Create a student view account
Note: This needs to be done only once in each course.
- Under Course Tools, click the link to Student View Account.
- Click the blue “Add Student View Account” button. Now you should see a note that it was successfully created. This new user account will your name followed by “sv” and a set of numbers. (This will be unique for every course in which you make a student view account.)
- If you want to remove the account, just go to that same “Student View Account” link in Course Tools and choose remove. You can add it back again later following the same steps above.
Step 2 – Impersonate that user account as often as you like
- Go to Grades & Feedback > Classlist
- Find your new student id on the list
- Click the down arrow button and choose “Impersonate Student”
- You are now in the course as a student
- To quit this view, click the student name at the top right and click X.