The University of Vermont is bringing the CATcard to your Android phone!
With this feature, students, faculty, and staff can use an Android phone anywhere on-campus, including to access buildings, attend campus events, and make payments.
As of Fall 2021, only the city busses and off-campus merchants still require the use of a plastic CATcard, but stay tuned!
Simply tap your Android Phone at the same reader where you would use your physical CATcard. You don’t have to wake the device or open an app.
Adding your CATcard to GPay
- Active UVM Faculty, Staff, or Student affiliation
- Profile picture on file with the CATcard Office.
- Device enrolled in UVM Duo Multi-Factor Authentication
- Active and valid UVM CATcard
- CATcard has not been added to another Android or iOS device
- Device is NFC-enabled
- Must be running Android Lollipop 5.0 or higher
Adding to an Android Device
- Open the Play Store on your Android Phone.
- Search for the GET CBORD app and install it. You may be prompted to verify the installation using your Google credentials.
- Open the GET Mobile app, and tap Search All Institutions
- Search for the “University of Vermont – CATcard Service Center” and tap it to continue.
- Login with your UVM NetID and password.
- Proceed through Duo using your chosen login method. If you do not have a Duo MFA enrolled device, you will need to enroll a device before you may proceed.
- After logging in, you’ll receive a prompt to create a PIN, then be asked whether or not to allow notifications from the GET Mobile App.
- Tap the Add to GPay button. This will add your CATcard to the GPay app on your phone.
- Choose to Always open with Google Pay.
- Agree to the GET Terms and Conditions, then Accept & Continue through the Google Pay Terms of Service.
- At this point, your CATcard will be added to GPay. It may take a minute or more to complete this process.
Using your CATcard in GPay
Using your CATcard on campus
You can use your CATcard card on your Android phone wherever you use your physical CATcard: to access your Reshall, office building, or the library, to buy food at campus cafés, or to pay for books and supplies at campus stores.
Check your CATcard account balance
Locate your CATcard number in GPay
Can I use my CATcard without unlocking my phone?
By default, your Android CATcard can be used without unlocking your phone, but the phone must be powered on and “awake”. Best results are achieved with the display active and a bright screen.
What if I want to use my physical CATcard again?
Removing your CATcard from Google Pay will automatically reactivate your physical CATcard. Please note that you can either have a functioning physical CATcard or your CATcard on your phone at any given time.
To remove your CATcard from the GPay app:
- Open the GPay app.
- Under the Home (Pay) section, tap the card in the upper right corner.
- Find you card in the list, then tap on it
- Tap the 3-dot menu in the top right corner
- Tap the Remove ID option
- Confirm removal of your card by tapping Remove
Can I use Google Pay CATcard if my phone has a dead battery?
No. Your Android phone must have battery power, be powered on and “awake”. The display must be active or bright to use the CATcard.
How many devices can I use my CATcard on within Google Pay?
You can use your CATcard via Google Pay on only one Android phone device using the same credentials.
Can I use CATcard in Google Pay without a cellular signal?
Does having my CATcard in Google Pay cost anything?
No – this service is provided at no additional cost.
Is a CATcard photo required?
Yes, a photo is required for eligibility.
What is required to authenticate to the GET Mobile app?
You will be required to log in with your NetID and Password to add the CATcard to your digital wallet.
What if I have a passcode on my phone, will I have to enter it every time?
If you have not enabled the “require device unlock for use” setting you do not need to authenticate via passcode, fingerprint, etc.
If you have enabled the “require device unlock for use” setting you will be required to authenticate via passcode, fingerprint, etc. each time you access your CATcard using Google Pay.
How do I use CAT$cratch or Dining Dollars currency on my account from my phone?
Once you have set up your CATcard in Google Pay, ensure your phone is “awake”. The display active and a bright screen. Hold your phone on the payment terminal or on the door reader in a vertical fashion.
Will it work with off-campus merchants?
Unfortunately, at this time, city busses and off-campus merchants cannot support Android CATcard purchases.
Is there support for WearOS, Tizen, or other Android wearables?
Mobile CATcard on Android wearables are not supported at this time.
I don't see the option to Add to GPay
If you don’t see the Add to GPay option in the CBORD GET app, please ensure that your CATcard is active and in good standing. Please also note that CATcard on Android is only available for active UVM Faculty, Staff, and Students.
Who can assist if my Android CATcard does not work for Building access?
Who can assist if my Android CATcard does not work for Residential Life access?
Contact email@example.com or call 802-656-3434