Tap Below Lateral
Flavor: Maple Syrup Grading Fundamentals
Density: Maple Syrup Grading Fundamentals
Color: Maple Syrup Grading Fundamentals
Clarity: Maple Syrup Grading Fundamentals
Forest Tent Caterpillar
- Forest Tent Caterpillar Update in Vermont Forest Health (PDF) September 2016.
- Forest Tent Caterpillar Update in The Maple News (PDF) August/September 2016.
- Video Interview (Across the Fence): Forest Tent Caterpillars and Their Impact on VT. June 30, 2016.
- Radio Interview (WAMC): Forest Tent Caterpillar in Vermont's Orange and Windsor Counties. September 6, 2016.
Maple Syrup Production
- Quality Control in the Sugarhouse, supplement to Maple Syrup Digest, Mark Isselhardt, June 2018 (PDF)
- Growth Rates of Sugar Maple Trees Tapped for Maple Syrup Production Using High-Yield Sap Collection Practives, Forest Science, van den Berg et al., February 2016
- Is Tapping Below the Lateral Line a Good Idea? Maple Syrup Digest, December 2016
- Filtering Syrup, Maple Syrup Digest, December 2016
- Vermont Maple Industry Looks to Expand its Reach, Stowe Today, January 2017
- Maple Syrup Production Statistics (PDF) October 2016
- Maple Products Regulations, CVR 20-011-002 (PDF) 2013
- Grading Maple Syrup (PDF)
- Radio Interview (WGDR): Host David Ferland interviews Mark Isselhardt of the Proctor Maple Research Center about the science and biology of maple trees, sap flow, tapping methods, and syrup production. January 14, 2015.
- Radio Interview (WGDR): Host David Ferland and Mark Isselhardt discuss sugaring, how sap flows, birch sap sugaring and so much more. February 25, 2015.
- Video (YouTube): Backyard Sugaring: Just Do It! June 16, 2016.
Understanding the relationship between tree size and yield. Perkins, T., M. Isselhardt, and A. Van den Berg. 2 pages, 2017.
A snapshot at sugarbush lease rates in Vermont. Isselhardt, M.L., 1 pages, 2017
Bacterial Adhesion to Plastic Tubing Walls (PDF). King, W.G., and M.F. Morselli. 2 pages, 1985.
A Correlation between Sugar Concentration and Volume Yields in Sugar Maple (PDF). Marvin, J.W., M.F. Morselli, and F.M. Laing. 6 pages, 1967.
Effect of Moisture and Fertilizers on Sugar Maple Seedling Growth (PDF). Carl, Clayton M. Jr., John R. Donnelly, and Boyd W. Post. MP #79. 5 pages, 1973.
Effects of the Use of Paraformaldehyde (PFA) Sterilising Pellets on Sugar Maple Health: A Review (PDF). Morselli, M.F. 4 pages, 1995.
How to Lessen the Content of Lead in Maple Products (PDF). Hills, J.L. 3 pages, 1938.
Image-Analyzing Computer in Plant Science: More and Larger Vascular Rays in Sugar Maples of High Sap and Sugar Yield (PDF). Morselli, F.M., J.W. Marvin, and F.M. Laing. 5 pages, 1978.
Maple Sap Exudation: How It Happens (PDF). Tyree, M. 2 pages, 1984.
Maple Sugaring in Your Backyard. Producing and Storing Pure Maple Syrup From a Few Trees (PDF). 2 pages, revised 2006.
Maple Sugaring Worksheets (XLS) (revised January 2010). Spreadsheet (Excel file) for calculating maple syrup production/profitability. [To be used with "Maple Syrup Costs: What does it really cost to produce that gallon of maple syrup?" factsheet.]
Pricing Maple Syrup at the Farm: Staying in Business (PDF). Myott, Larry. 4 pages, 2002.
"Salty" Syrup from Roadside Sugar Maples in Decline (PDF). Morselli, M.F. and M.L. Whalen. 3 pages, 1987.
Sap Preheaters: Efficient Maple Syrup Processing (PDF). Duchacek, H., F.M. Laing, L.D. Garrett, N.K. Huyler, M.F. Morselli, J. Marvin. MP #97. 1978, 11 pages.
A Silvicultural Guide for Developing a Sugarbush (PDF). Lancaster, K.F., R.S. Walters, F.M. Laing, and R.T. Foulds. USDA Forest Service Research Paper NE-286. 10 pages, 1974.
Species Trials for Biomass Production on Abandoned Farmland (PDF). Laing, F.M., P.E. Sendak, and J. Aleong. 5 pages, 1985.
Sugarbush Lease Agreement (PDF). A suggested lease form. 4 pages, revised January 2003.
Sugarhouse Design (PDF). Wells, Grant. 27 pages.
Temperatures in the Sugarbush (PDF). Wilmot, Tim. 4 pages, 2006.
Treatment of Sugar Maple Sap with In-Line Ultraviolet Light (PDF). Morselli, M.F., and M.L. Whalen. 2 pages, 1983.
Variation in Sugar Content of Maple Sap (PDF). Taylor, F.H. 21 pages, 1956.
Vigor and Nutrition vs. Sap Sugar Concentration in Sugar Maples (PDF). Wilmot, T.R., P.W. Brett, and M.T. Tyree. 7 pages, 1995.
Many More Publications at Proctor Maple Research Center
Maple publication from University of Vermont Extension.