When you are aware that a student has a documented disability and would benefit from additional support:
- Speak to the student in private about your concerns.
- Refer the student to Student Accessibility Services 802-656-7753
- Acknowledge the difficulties the student is experiencing.
- Be sensitive that low self-esteem may be associated with the disability.
- Be aware that Student Accessibility Services Staff may need to contact a faculty member and/or T. A. to follow up on accommodations.
- Be aware that all disabilities need medical documentation before the student is eligible for services from Student Accessibility Services.
- Assume the student knows s/he may qualify for assistance from Student Accessibility Services.
- Assume the student wants to receive assistance from Student Accessibility Services.
- Pressure the student to acknowledge his/her disability.
- Speak to the student in a derogatory manner.