What do I do in the case of an emergency?

If you find yourself in an emergency and are off campus, please call 911 for assistance.  If you are on campus, please call UVM Police Services at 802-656-3473.  You can get more information regarding emergencies through the Office of Emergency Management website.

How do I let my professors know if I have to miss class?

If you have to miss class and want to get a message to your faculty members, you need to contact your Academic College Dean’s Office: Agriculture and Life Sciences: 802-656-2980; Arts and Sciences: 802-656-3344; Continuing and Distance Education: 802-656-2085; Education and Social Services: 802-656-3468; Engineering and Mathematical Sciences: 802-656-3392; Grossman School of Business: 802-656-4015; Nursing and Health Sciences: 802-656-3858; Rubenstein School: 802-656-2675.

Is housing guaranteed for students?

Residential Life provides housing for close to 5,500 students with housing guaranteed for first- and second-year students.  For more information, please visit the Residential Life website.

How do I find off-campus housing?

The Office of Student & Community Relations manages an off-campus housing database that serves students who are looking for off-campus housing.

I am concerned about a friend… who can I call for help?

There are many reasons that you may be concerned for a friend at UVM. Thankfully there are many resources on campus that can offer assistance. You can begin by looking at Student Concerns A-Z or you can also call the Assistant Dean for Retention at 802-656-3380 for help.

How do I get involved on campus?

There is a long list of student organizations on campus, it's easy to get involved. Student organizations promote leadership development, social responsibility, service learning, civic engagement, and multicultural competence.  See what's available in terms of social, academic, cultural, service, advocacy, political and other organizations at the Student Life website.

Can I join the Student Government Association?

The Student Government Association (SGA) acts as a governing body for the students of the University of Vermont.  Make a direct impact by becoming a senator, serving on a committee in the senate, and running for office. The SGA also supports over 200+ clubs that highlight student involvement and interests at UVM. Visit the Student Government Association website for more information about getting involved.

How can I join a Fraternity or a Sorority?

Joining a fraternity or sorority on campus is another way to develop leadership skills and promote strong community values.  Greek Life offers a unique student involvement experience.  Learn more from the Fraternity and Sorority Life website.

How do I find a job on campus?

Student employment is an excellent way to gain work experience, make new friends, and earn some money!  You can gain valuable workplace skills by taking advantage of the many opportunities we have to offer on campus and in the local and regional community.  For student employment opportunities visit the Student Employment Office website.    

How do I find an internship?

An internship is experiential learning that combines classroom learning with work in a professional setting. Internships can be paid, unpaid, for credit or not-for-credit, and can take place in Burlington, out-of-state, or in other countries.  To find out more information on internships, you can go to the Career Center website.

How can I get a tutor for my class?

The Tutoring Center offers peer tutors to work with you to explore your study skills and to get support in your courses through one-on-one tutoring and small-group tutoring.  To find out more about the process, you can go to the Tutoring Center website.

What if I think I have a disability?

Student Accessibility Services (SAS) provides accommodations to students with documented disabilities.  If you have a disability or think you have a disability, please call SAS at 802-656-7753 or email access@uvm.edu for an appointment. 

How do I get involved as a Graduate Student?

The Graduate Student Senate (GSS) is a great way for you to get involved in life at UVM as a graduate student. GSS promotes the well-being of graduate students and encourages a stronger, more unified voice for the graduate student body. The purpose of GSS is to cultivate both the academic and nonacademic activities of graduate students and to enhance all aspects of graduate school life at the University of Vermont. You can get more information at the GSS website.

What is AlcoholEdu?

AlcoholEdu is an interactive, online program designed to inform students about how alcohol affects the body, mind, perceptions, and behaviors. The research-based course provides students with accurate information in a non-judgmental tone and provides personalized feedback that encourages students to consider their own drinking decisions and those of their peers.  AlcoholEdu content is relevant to each student based on their answers as abstainers, high risk, or moderate drinkers.

Who is required to take AlcoholEdu?

All incoming freshmen must complete AlcoholEdu. Success of the program is based upon population-level prevention, a concept that recognizes that students’ choices likely impact those of their peers. Providing new students with a consistent message about alcohol can encourage thoughtful conversations, inspire a shift in alcohol-related behaviors, and highlight a campus culture that values healthy choices.

Where do I call to make an appointment for an alcohol or drug consultation?

Students who are required or would like to have a consultation with an alcohol and drug counselor or join the BASICS program should contact the BASICS Coordinator at 802-656-1463.