When dealing with a demanding student:
- When possible, talk to the student in a place where you feel comfortable and safe.
- Remain calm and in control of the situation.
- Set clear limits and hold to them.
- Directly and clearly explain to the student the behaviors which are acceptable and unacceptable.
- Be clear about the time you will give to the student.
- Request that they treat you with respect.
- Address and contain the disruptive behavior that impacts the class, study groups, etc.
- Be aware of manipulative behavior.
- Refer student to resources that can address their needs.
- Contact the Center for Student Ethics and Standards (802-656-4360) to report disruptive behavior, which can include harassment and intimidation.
- Contact The Wellness Program for assistance if you are feeling personally impacted (800-828-6025)
- Contact the Office of Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity (802-656-3368) if you are feeling harassed and it has a sexual or gender related harassment to it.
- Argue with the student
- Accommodate inappropriate requests.
- Ignore the problem and the impact it has on you and other students, staff, or faculty.