Regional 4-H Showcase Offered Forum For Talented 4-H'ers
- By Lindy Birch
Lyndonville--More than 100 talented 4-H'ers from the Northeast Kingdom and Lamoille County participated in the Northeast Regional 4-H Spring Showcase, April 26, at the Lyndon Town School in Lyndonville.
It was a day filled with education and entertainment as the 4-H club members took part in stage presentations, action exhibits, public speaking contests and demonstrations. They also displayed their photos, posters and tabletop and technology exhibits, designed to show the public what they have learned through 4-H activities and projects.
For many of the top entries, the event was a springboard to 4-H State Day, a capstone event for outstanding 4-H'ers from throughout the state. That University of Vermont (UVM) Extension 4-H event will take place May 17 at the Barre Civic Center in Barre.
Entries continuing on to 4-H State Day include, by county:
- ACTION EXHIBIT: Mountainside 4-H Club, Sutton (A Recycler's Green Thumb)
- PHOTOGRAPHY (DARKROOM): Miranda Wright, St. Johnsbury (Untitled)
- PHOTOGRAPHY (TRADITIONAL): Samantha Turgeon, St. Johnsbury (Untitled); Sincere Wilson, St. Johnsbury (Untitled); Miranda Wright, St. Johnsbury (Untitled)
- POSTER: Samantha Turgeon, St. Johnsbury (Kitchen Prep Safety); Miranda Wright, St. Johnsbury (Barn Safety)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Aiden Bogie, Lyndonville (Common Horse Illnesses); Jazmine Bogie, Lyndonville (Horse Markings)
- TECHNOLOGY (WEBSITE): Darcy Nelson, Ryegate (DJ's Monsters, Ghosts, Superstitions and Other Things)
- ACTION EXHIBIT: Lamoille Localvores, Jeffersonville (How to Make a Seed Tape); Leprechauns 4-H Club, Johnson (Surviving in the Backcountry)
- POSTER: Land Boardman, Jeffersonville (Five Threatened Species); Quincy Boardman, Jeffersonville (Seven Breeds of Horses); Hope Ferris, Jeffersonville (One Way to Wash Paint); Noah Ferris, Jeffersonville (Ducks are Awesome); Elias Gillen, Jeffersonville (Types of Mangos); Mariah Ingalls, Johnson (Manchester Lumber Mill)
- PUBLIC SPEAKING: Ramona Bilodeau, Essex Junction (member of a Lamoille County 4-H club; talk on GMOs)
- DEMONSTRATION (INDIVIDUAL): Mackayla O'Meara, Irasburg (Be In the Know with Tae Kwon Do); Meaghan O'Meara, Irasburg (What's the Pointe?)
- DEMONSTRATION (TEAM): Ryanne Nadeau, Derby Line and Maverick O'Meara, Irasburg (Mugalicious Madness); Emma Fortin, Newport and Cora Nadeau, Derby Line (Cookies and Cream Supreme); Maddie Nadeau, Derby Line and Julia Paul, Newport (Mosaic Makeover)
- ILLUSTRATED TALK: Molly Patenaude, Derby Line (Evolution of the Equine)
- POSTER: Emma Nadeau, Derby (Heavy Metal Makeover); Jada Rosemark, Sheffield (Anime); Cody Trudeau, Hardwick (Farm Safety)
- PHOTOGRAPHY (TRADITIONAL): Sophia Cannizzaro, West Glover (Pink Blooms); Emma Nadeau, Derby (Big Cat); Maddie Nadeau, Derby (Frog ); Ryanne Nadeau, Derby Line (Sunlight through the Trees); Mackayla O'Meara, Irasburg (Spring Melt); Maverick O'Meara, Irasburg (At the Fair); Meaghan O'Meara, Irasburg (Ice Formation); Jada Rosemark, Sheffield (Icicles on the Line)
- PUBLIC SPEAKING: Jada Rosemark, Sheffield (The Nuclear Debate)
- STAGE PRESENTATIONS (INDIVIDUAL): Sophia Cannizzaro, West Glover (poetry reading); Meaghan O'Meara, Irasburg (tap dance); Jada Rosemark, Sheffield (singing)
- STAGE PRESENTATIONS (GROUP): Border Livestock Plus 4-H Club, Holland (comedy skit); Border Livestock Plus 4-H Club, Holland (instrumental/singing)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Melissa Bernier, Newport (Horse Shoes); Brittany Clogston, Derby (Horse Driving); Alaina Lemieux, Derby (Bunny, Belly, Booboo); Haley Michaud, East Hardwick (Duroc pigs); Hunter Michaud, East Hardwick (beagles); Lincoln Michaud, East Hardwick (Oxen Commands). ALTERNATES: Cora Nadeau, Derby and Molly Patenaude, Derby Line (Water, Waste, Wisdom); Allie Cloutier, Barton (What Type of Grain Does Your Horse Need?)
To learn more about 4-H in Caledonia and Lamoille Counties, contact Anthony Willey at (802) 751-8310, ext. 357. For Essex and Orleans Counties, contact Lindy Birch at (802) 334-7235, ext. 481.