Watershed Forestry Partnership News & Partner Updates
The WFP Fall 2022 Newsletter is here!
Alison Adams to step down as Watershed Forestry Coordinator
Alison Adams will be stepping down from her position as Watershed Forestry Coordinator at the end of October 2022 to move on to new challenges and adventures. The Watershed Forestry Coordinator position will be posted during UVM's fall 2022 term; please keep and eye out for the posting if you or someone else you know might be interested in applying!
The WFP Spring 2022 Newsletter is here!
Second report released on native tree stock shortage in Vermont
The Watershed Forestry Partnership and the USFWS Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program have released a follow-up report regarding the native tree stock shortage in Vermont. This second report summarizes the results of a survey of current and aspiring growers of native trees and shrubs for restoration plantings. We quantify how much plant material is being purchased, how much is bought-in from out-of-state (spoiler: it's a lot), and what the limitations and challenges are for growers to meet growing demand for native tree and shrub seedlings in Vermont. Read more by clicking the image or clicking here!
Podcast on riparian forest restoration to be released in September
The Watershed Forestry Partnership is producing a podcast on riparian forests, geared toward practitioners (and other interested folks), funded by NEIWPCC in partnership with the Lake Champlain Basin Program. The first episode, exploring the impact of emerald ash borer on riparian forests, will be released in late September (keep an eye out here for more information closer to the date). Read more about the podcast here.
Report released on native tree stock shortage in Vermont
The Watershed Forestry Partnership and the USFWS Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program have partnered to quantify and address the native tree stock shortage in Vermont. Read the first report from the project, summarizing the results of a recent survey of organizations who buy native trees for riparian and wetland restoration projects.
The WFP Spring 2021 Newsletter is here!
Riparian Forest Practitioners Meeting scheduled for March 9-10, 2021
The Vermont Riparian Buffer Working Group annual meeting is being organized this year by the Watershed Forestry Partnership! Due to COVID-19, the meeting will take place on Zoom spread out over two days--March 9th and 10th (Tues-Wed). Save the date! The meeting will be structured similar to a conference, with a main introductory session we hope everyone will attend the morning of the 9th, and then a handful of different 1-2 hour sessions through the next 1.5 days that folks may attend as their interests and schedules allow. To learn more, and to see the (draft) agenda/schedule, click here. To RSVP for the meeting, please click here.
Graduate Student Receives Grant for Riparian Buffer Study
By Lisa Halvorsen, UVM Extension
November 11, 2020
In the Champlain Valley, restoration of riparian forests, also known as forested floodplains, can be challenging, given the presence of heavy clay soils and stands of reed canary grass, an invasive species that can outcompete native tree species.
A new University of Vermont (UVM) research project will evaluate different management practices to assess survival of native plants when establishing riparian buffer corridors in river floodplains. The results will help landowners who are considering riparian restoration for flood control, wildlife habitat, or reduction of surface runoff to achieve greater success in establishing forested buffer plantings. Read the full story here.
After a 2.5-year hiatus, the Vermont CREP (Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program) is once again enrolling new projects! The program plants riparian forest buffers on land that is currently in agricultural production. Landowners who enroll in the program receive up-front incentive payments, as well as annual rent payments for the duration of the 15-year contract. the Farm Service Agency (FSA) covers 90% of the installation cost, and Partners for Fish and Wildlife (PFW) can cover the remaining 10%. Where needed, FSA and PFW will cover 100% of the cost for fencing, stream crossing, and watering infrastructure for grazing livestock.
CREP can provide some income for land that might be less productive, and/or help landowners install needed infrastructure, like fencing, for grazing livestock. But what are the other benefits of installing a riparian forest buffer? There are many! Buffers can benefit water quality; provide wildlife habitat and cool waterways for stream organisms; provide important carbon storage to help stabilize our climate; stabilize streambanks, and more! Read more about the benefits of riparian forest buffers here.
For more information or to inquire about enrolling in CREP, please contact ben.gabos [at] vermont.gov or phillip.wilson [at] vermont.gov.