Microsoft Teams webinars provide the tools to schedule your webinar, register attendees, run an interactive presentation, and analyze attendee data for effective follow-up.
In contrast to standard Teams meetings, Webinars are more controlled, with the participants have clear roles: One or several experts (the presenters) share their ideas or provide training to an audience (the attendees).
See Microsoft’s documentation for more detail about Webinars.
Organizing a Webinar
Scheduling a Webinar
- In the Teams calendar, select the arrow to the right of New meeting and then select Webinar.
- By default, the webinar is open to everyone with the link. You can restrict it to UVM affiliates by selecting For people in your org in the Require registration menu.
- On the New meeting page, enter a title for your webinar, date, start and end times, and a description. The info that you enter on this page is for the webinar presenters only—attendees won’t see it. If you want, you can set a different start time for attendees on the registration form so that you’ll have time to prepare with the presenters before the attendees join. This process is detailed in the section Customizing the Registration Form, below.
- In the meeting notes section at the bottom of the invitation, you can add agenda items and notes, and assign pre-webinar tasks to the presenters. This info is shared only with presenters.
- To allow people besides yourself to present content during the webinar, list them on the invite. Presenters don’t need to register. They join the webinar in the same way that they join a regular meeting.
- You can customize the registration form before sending the invite to presenters or afterwards.
- Send the invite to your presenters by selecting Send in the upper-right corner of the page. You need to do this even if you are the only presenter.
Presenters can be added to a webinar to allow them to share content during the webinar. Presenters don’t need to register. They join the webinar in the same way that they join a regular meeting.
There are two ways to add presenters to your event. The easiest is to include them in the original invite, as detailed in the “Scheduling a Webinar” section above.
In order to add presenters after sending out the webinar invite, additional steps will need to be taken:
- Select the event in your calendar and then select Edit.
- Add the new presenter to the Presenters or Optional presenters line in the invite.
- Select Send update in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select the event in your calendar and then select Edit.
- Next to Go to meeting options, select Change options.
- On the Meeting options page, next to Select presenters for this meeting, enter the name of the additional presenter.
- Select Save at the bottom of the page.
Sharing Registration Link
After sending the webinar invite and publicizing your webinar, track who registered and what they entered on the registration form.
- In your calendar, double-click the webinar.
- Select the Registration button to download the report as a .CSV file that you can open in Excel.Look for the file in your device’s Downloads folder.
Customizing the Registration Form
Edit the registration form
Potential webinar attendees get this form when they select the webinar registration link. They fill it out and submit it to receive the Join link for the webinar.
- If you have already sent the event invite, double-click the webinar in your calendar.
- Select View registration form.
- If you have already sent the webinar invite, you must click the Edit button in the top-left corner to customize the form.
Add a custom image
You can add a banner or other image to the top of the attendee registration form.
- Select Add an image at the top of the page.
- Select Upload an image, locate and select the image you want to use, and select Done.
- Select Done again.
To remove the image, select the X in the upper-right corner of the page.
Enter basic webinar details for attendees
Enter the webinar title, date, start and end times, and description. You can also list the speakers, along with their bios.
- The info that you enter on this page appears only on the registration page—it does not affect the start and end times on the webinar calendar event.
- If you want, you can set a different start time for webinar presenters so that you’ll have time to prepare with the presenters before the attendees join.
Choose additional fields
The form that attendees will complete includes three required fields: First name, Last name, and Email. You decide the rest.
- Under Register for this event, select Add field to view a list of commonly requested fields.
- To add one of the listed fields, select it.
- When the field appears on the form, select the Required box if you want to oblige attendees to provide that info. (They won’t be able to register for your webinar if they leave the line blank.)
- Repeat steps 1-3 as needed. To delete a field, select the X to its right.
Create custom fields
You can request any amount of additional info, perhaps related to your webinar’s marketing goals or to help plan your training session.
- Select Add field > Custom question and indicate whether the attendee will be entering info in the questionnaire (select Input) or choosing from options you supply (select Choice).
- If you chose Input, enter your question in the field under Custom question.
- If you chose Choice, enter your question under Custom question, select Add option until you have the number of choices you want to provide, and then enter the choices.
- To preview your registration form, select View in browser at the top right of the page.
- When you’re done, select Save.
- To close the form, select the X in the upper-right corner.
Who can schedule a webinar?
Anyone who can schedule a Teams meeting can schedule a webinar.