This article provides information on data stored by MS Outlook, along with instructions on exporting this data from Outlook.
At UVM, the most common reason to export Outlook data is leaving the university. Because users lose access to their UVM email account after leaving the university, many will wish to save these emails in a secondary location that can be accessed without an active UVM account.
What is Exported?
Data that can be exported from a UVM email account includes the following:
- Calendar items
How to Export
Using the desktop version of Microsoft Outlook, data can be exported either to a file or directly to another email account.
Export to a File
- Open Outlook and click on “File“.
- From the menu on the left, click “Open & Export“, then click “Import/Export“.
- Click “Export to a file“, then click “Next“.
- Click “Outlook Data File (.pst)“, then click “Next“.
- Select the name of the account that you would like to export, then check “Include subfolders” and click “Next“.
- Click “Browse” to choose where to save the Outlook Data File. Enter a name for the file, and choose “OK” to continue.
- Click “Finish” to start the export.
- If you are creating a new .pst file, optionally enter a password, and click “OK” to continue.To use no password for this file, leave the text boxes empty, and click “OK”
Your Outlook data will now begin to export. When complete, navigate to the location that you selected in step 6. to find your exported .pst file.
You can now import this file into another inbox.
Export to Another Email Account
- Add a second email account to Outlook. For this to work consistently, the second account must not have an “@uvm.edu” address.
- Find your second account in the left sidebar of Outlook. Click on the right-pointing triangle next to the account’s name, then click on “Inbox” below.
- Drag and drop any folders or individual messages from your UVM account to the second account.
- Check your second account in another email application. The moved items should begin to appear there shortly.
- In the Mail app on your Mac, select one or more mailboxes.
Then choose “Mailbox” > “Export Mailbox“.
- Choose a folder or create a new folder, then click “Choose“. Mail exports the mailboxes as .mbox packages. If you previously exported a mailbox, Mail doesn’t overwrite the existing .mbox file; it creates a new .mbox file, such as My Mailbox 3.mbox.