A domain refers to a controlled group of clients and servers. By adding a machine to the CAMPUS domain, our System Architecture and Administration team is able to automatically push and apply Group Policy, and ensure anyone with domain credentials (a NetID and password) can log into that machine.
Group Policy provides centralized management and configuration of operating systems, applications, and users’ settings, including by not limited to enforcement of password complexity, system patching, and wireless profiles.
Is my computer domain joined?
Add a machine to the CAMPUS domain
- Click the search box on the taskbar, type “system”, select System (Control Panel) in the search results.
- In the System window that appears, click the Change Settings button.
- In System Properties window, make sure the Computer Name tab is selected, then click the Change button.
- Select the Domain option, then type in the domain: campus.ad.uvm.edu
Then click OK.
- You should now be asked to enter your credentials. Make sure to format this correctly. If your -tech account was jshmoe-tech, you would want to enter:
Password: ************ [your NetID-tech password]
- Reboot the machine to allow the changes to take effect.
It is recommended you log out immediately after completing this process, then log in with your NetID and password.
Update Group Policy
- Open command prompt as an administrator
- Enter the following command: