Call 911 for a medical emergency, 988 for a mental health emergency, or go to the nearest emergency department if you or someone you know is having a life threatening issue.

University of Vermont Medical Center is the closest emergency room to campus at 111 Colchester Ave.

Mental Health Crisis: CAPS On Call Counselor

For urgent mental health needs call CAPS to reach the on call counselor at (802) 656-3340.

Other Mental Health Crisis Resources

First Call of Chittenden County: (802) 488-7777

First Call is a free emergency mental health service staffed 24/7 for anyone in Chittenden County experiencing a crisis.

There is no wrong reason to call. Your reason for calling may be as simple as requesting an appointment with a mental health specialist or more urgent, such as getting help for someone who is experiencing serious emotional distress.

Vermont Crisis Text Line: text VT to 741741

Free and available 24/7. Within five minutes, you'll get a text back, followed by a response from a trained crisis counselor.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273-TALK (8255)/ TTY (800)-799-4TTY (4889)

If you are suicidal or in emotional distress, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can put you in touch with help.


Get the LiveSafe App

  • Request help
  • Share your location with friends when you're headed home late at night
  • Report safety incidents privately and directly from your phone-- and anonymously, if you want
  • Get campus emergency resources