Most clinical services are covered by the UVM student health fee. All full-time UVM students must have an insurance plan to help cover additional healthcare costs. This can be UVM SHIP or another insurance.
The Center for Health and Wellbeing provides core services like office visits at no cost as long as you have paid the UVM health fee.
Deadlines and Requirements
Students must complete the insurance decision/waiver form annually to declare their enrollment in SHIP or their decision to waive it for an equivalent insurance plan.
Who Does the Health Insurance Requirement Cover?
Undergraduate/Continuing Education students registered for 9 or more credits.
Graduate students registered for 9 or more credits.
Graduate students enrolled in "Grad 903" credits.
All International Students with F-1 or J-1 visas.
All Medical Students.
The deadlines for completing the insurance Decision/Waiver Form are as follows:
New students starting school in the Fall: July 1.
New students starting school in the Spring: December 1.
Returning students: annually by July 1.
Students who fail to complete the insurance decision/waiver form on time will be charged for the UVM Student Health Insurance Plan and will have a hold placed on their UVM student account.
UVM’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
Students are not required to purchase the University of Vermont Insurance if they have comparable coverage under another insurance carrier. Choosing between the UVM Student Health Insurance Policy (UVM SHIP) and comparable coverage is an individual decision.
- Insurance coverage period: August 1 - July 31
- All students, regardless of type of insurance, must pay the UVM health fee, which covers most medical and mental health services within UVM’s Center for Health and Wellbeing (CHWB). The UVM SHIP covers all routine and preventative health care ONLY within CHWB. Preventive services available within CHWB are not covered at other locations. Students should get referrals from CHWB before obtaining care elsewhere. There is a $300 deductible for services obtained outside of CHWB without a referral.
- Prescription Drug Coverage (in network): $20 copay for Tier 1 (Generic Brand) / 90% co insurance for Tier 2 (Preferred Brand) / 90% co insurance for Tier 3 (Non-Preferred Brand) / 90% co insurance for Tier 4 (Specialty Brand).
- Psychiatric Services at CHWB: students with UVM SHIP are covered at 100% of the initial visit and 80% of each follow up visit.
- Students who have purchased UVM SHIP and later withdraw or fall below 6 credits (undergraduates) or 5 credits (graduate students) after the first 31 days of the semester will remain covered by the insurance policy for the remainder of the semester, but they are not eligible for CHWB services even if they have also paid the health fee. If a student purchases UVM SHIP and withdraws before the end of the 30-day window, coverage is not guaranteed. That decision would ultimately be made by the insurance company.
- To enroll in UVM SHIP, complete the insurance decision/waiver form before the deadline. Enrollment after the deadline is permissible by exception only. Contact StudentInsurance@uvm.edu directly for more information.
UVM Student Health Insurance Plan Premiums
To purchase the UVM Student Health Insurance Plan (UVM SHIP), you must pay the UVM Health Fee and meet other eligibility criteria. UVM SHIP is billed to your UVM Student Account at the same time as your tuition. Full-year insurance is billed in two installments.
|August 1—July 31
|August 1—December 31
|January 1—July 31
* Fall-only coverage is available ONLY to students graduating in December/not registered for the Spring semester.
** Spring/Summer-only coverage is available ONLY to students who were not eligible for UVM SHIP coverage in the Fall (for example, because they did not take enough credits).
For eligibility for UVM SHIP you must pay the UVM health fee. The health fee covers routine and preventive CHWB health care and counseling services.