Long history at UVM
Civil Engineering has a long history at the University of Vermont. As early as 1829, the first professor of Mathematics and Civil Engineering was appointed at UVM, and many of the earliest graduates made their way into civil engineering jobs related to the railroad industry. The passage of the Morrill Act in 1865 led the way for a B.S. in Civil Engineering at UVM with the first graduates of Civil Engineering in 1870. In 1936, the Civil Engineering degree was accredited and has received continued accreditation ever since. The addition of the Environmental Engineering degree was approved by the Board of Trustees in 2003, accreditation was granted in 2005 and has received continued accreditation ever since.
To promote and cultivate excellence in engineering innovation and leadership to serve and benefit the local and global community.
We aspire to take pride in:
- the personal, experiential, professional learning we provide to our students;
- our excellence in research and education that address critical engineering challenges; and
- being a technical resource for the state of Vermont and beyond.
Civil and environmental engineering (CEE) has a long and significant history at the University of Vermont. The first civil engineering professor (George Russell Huntington – Professor of Mathematics and Civil Engineering) was hired in 1829. This was at a time when there was a common university core, and civil engineering was indeed part of that core. For over 180 years, UVM has been graduating civil engineers who have been critical for the economic and social well being of the State and beyond. At the undergraduate level, the civil engineering program has been continually accredited since 1936 and the environmental engineering program has been continually accredited since 2005. The first MS degree awarded at UVM in any area was in 1874 to civil engineer, Charles Simeon Denison, who later became a professor of mechanical drawing at the University of Michigan. CEE doctoral program was implemented in 1992, and the first Ph.D. student graduated in 1994.
Our B.S. degrees in civil engineering and environmental engineering are both accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012.