Boat house, Lake Champlain, Burlington, VT


What is CAT$cratch and why would I need it?

CAT$cratch is UVM's prepaid debit account which works right off your CATcard. Opening a CAT$cratch account is a safe, convenient way to have access to goods and services without always having your purse or wallet with you. Typically you will have your ID card with you as it is needed for your residence hall and to access your meal plan. CAT$cratch has no fees attached so you will never overdraw this account. If you lose a debit or credit card it may take a couple weeks to replace, where as the CATcard can be replaced the same day. You MUST have CAT$cratch to print at our libraries. 

How do I open an account and make deposits?

Opening an account is easy, just print off the application form and either mail it or bring it in to our office. After the account is open you can make deposits in our office, using cash, check, and credit or debit card. If writing a check, make payable to UVM. Deposits can be made through our secure website, just click web deposit. You an also sign up for the FREE GET Mobile APP and make a deposit right from your smartphone. Credit card deposits are treated as a payment and not a cash advance by your credit card company. Remember, CAT$cratch rolls over semester to semester and year to year. If you have a balance left when you graduate or leave the University we take a $10.00 closing fee and send you a check for the rest.

Who can open a CAT$cratch account?

Anyone who has any type of ID from the CATcard Office is able to open a CAT$cratch Account. This includes CATcard, courtesy cards for dependents, UVM Medical Residents, dining services, vendor and alumni cards.

How do I check my balance?

You can download the GET mobile App to check your balance and transaction history. Parents & Families can deposit to a CAT$cratch Account on your behalf as well. You will need download the app on your smart phone and log into GET Portal using your CATcard number that is on the back fo your CATcard. Number starts with (21733) then follow the instructions!

Where can CAT$cratch be used?

CAT$cratch can be used for a variety of goods and services including buying books at UVM Bookstore and groceries downtown at City Market. For a complete list of hundreds of locations, check out our off campus web page.

Do I need a debit or credit card?

CAT$cratch cannot be used for cash withdrawals so it is a good idea to have a way to access cash.

What if I lose it, can someone else use it?

Your CATcard is a photo ID which is checked at the time of purchase. Businesses not only check the photo but require a signature as well.

What is the difference between CAT$cratch and meal points?

Meal points will work only on campus and do not roll over year to year. CAT$cratch rolls over year to year and semester to semester. CAT$cratch works on campus including all the dining locations, vending machines, the UVM Bookstore, CATpause, Henderson's and over 100 off-campus locations in the Burlington area. All first year students and sophomores are required to have a meal plan. Please contact the meal plan office for more detailed information. 

If I am an employee can I have payroll deduction for CAT$cratch?

Yes, you can set up automatic deductions through PeopleSoft Self Serve.

Still have questions?

For any questions we have not covered, please feel free to call us at 656-4509 or stop by our office at Billings Library, 48 University Place. You can e-mail CATcard and we will get back to you within two business days.