All applicants to the B.A. in Music or the B.S. in Music Education (except concentrators in Music Technology and Business -- see below) must pass an Entrance (Level II) Audition to be accepted as a music major at UVM.
Step 1 - Apply to the University
Step 2A - Audition live on campus
There will be no in-person auditions for the 2020-2021 school year. Please submit materials electronically.
Step 2B - Send a pre-recorded audition
- Prepare the video or audio recording using the specific Entrance (Level II) audition requirements for your instrument/voice.
- Your audition pieces must be played on the instrument which you intend to be your primary instrument in your music studies.
- Please use MP3, MP4 or AAC for audio; or MOV, MP4, or MPG for video.
- Original compositions and digitally produced pieces are not acceptable for this audition.
- Download and complete the Audition Application Form (PDF). NOTE: This form requires at least one letter of recommendation from a music teacher. If you are using a Mac, please Save as PDF.
- Submit your files using UVM's File Transfer Service (filetransfer.uvm.edu).
- When asked if you are a UVM affiliate, select "No" and then "Share files".
- Fill in the next page as follows:
From: [your e-mail address]
Subject: [Your Name] - Pre-recorded Audition
- Drag and drop files into the Attachments: field or choose files from your computer by selecting "Add File". Please include:
- your audio/video files
- completed Audition Application Form
- letter of recommendation
- When you are finished, select "Share Files". We will send you a confirmation email when we have successfully received your files.
- Instead of uploading your recording, you may instead send us a link to your recording hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, SoundCloud, or similar. Please use the file transfer service as described above to send us your Audition Application Form and letter of recommendation.
Deadlines for sending recordings:
- November 1: Early Action applicants
- December 1: Transfer applicants for Spring semester
- February 15: Regular applicants
- May 1: Transfer applicants for Fall semester
Music Technology & Business majors
Unlike other concentrations in the B.A. Music, students in Music Technology and Business are not required to pass the Level II Audition on a classical or jazz instrument/voice as a prerequisite, but must pass the audition as part of their requirements for completing the degree. Students are encouraged to take this audition as soon as they and their teachers think they are prepared, but in any event must pass this audition before undertaking their Senior Project or Internship. The audition must be done live (not through recorded audio/video).
If you declare the major in Technology/Business, and decide to transfer to another concentration such as Jazz Studies or Theory/Composition, you must pass the Level II Audition before declaring that change in concentration.
Please note that you must choose a primary instrument and repertoire from the classical or jazz genre -- consult the repertoire requirements. Original compositions and digitally produced pieces are not acceptable for this audition.
Your faculty advisor and private lesson instructor can answer any questions you have about preparing for the audition. You may also contact the music office at any time.
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ applies to pre-recorded auditions only. On-campus auditions have been suspended due to COVID-19.
How do I audition if I am already a UVM student?
Current UVM students may schedule an Entrance Audition on one of the designated Audition Days or at the beginning or end of each semester. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. You must pass the Entrance Audition before you can declare music as your major.
Is an audition required for music minors?
No, music minors are NOT required to audition. Learn more about the music minor.
What does "primary instrument" mean?
While music majors are encouraged to study and play multiple instruments at UVM, you must choose one primary instrument. This will be the one on which you do your Entrance Audition, end-of-semester playing exams, yearly performance recitals, and Senior Recital.
What should I wear?
Dress for an interview. Business casual (no sneakers or jeans) or all black concert attire.
What if I don't pass the audition?
If you don't pass the Entrance Audition, you will not be able to declare the music major at this time, but you may attempt the audition multiple times! Students who do not pass the audition on their first attempt will often take applied lessons with our faculty for one or two semesters to prepare for their next audition attempt.
Prospective students who do not pass the Entrance Audition may still be admitted to UVM in another major, or undeclared, and may retake the audition during their first or second year at UVM.
If you have any other questions, please contact us: email@example.com or (802) 656-2295.