Lake Champlain Sea Grant is dedicated to educating municipal and private winter maintenance professionals in sustainable salt use practices that allow our roads, parking lots and driveways to remain safe, while at the same time reducing use of salt to benefit the environment and save money. We have hosted or co-hosted workshops for private and municipal employees since 2017.
You can access agendas and presentations from past workshops and conferences below.
- Road Salt Education Workshop, South Burlington, VT, October 24, 2019
Science of Salt (PDF) - Stu Johnson, Vermont Local Roads Insurance and Safety Precautions to Prevent Acceidents and Reduce Claims (PDF) - Jeff Theis, Vermont League of CIties and Towns New Opportunities in Liquid Deicers - Frank Believeau, Innovative Solutions Operator's Experience on Road Salt Reduction and Brine Preparation (PDF) - Rob Volpleus, Town of Lake George, NY and Chris Navitsky, FUND for Lake George and Lake George Waterkeeper
- Adirondack Champlain Regional Salt Summit, Lake Placid, NY, October 3, 2019
Setting the Stage for Today - Brendan Wiltse, AuSable River Association Lake George Salt Reduction Successes - Dan Stec, NYS Assembly, District 114; Eric Siy, the FUND for Lake George; Raqib Omer, Viaseys; Rob Vopleus, Town of Lake George Highway Dept; Matt Coffin, Town of Hague Highway Dept; Steve Johnson, Warren County DPW How Changing Weather Patterns Are Impacting Winter Maintenance Approaches - Frank Lombardo, President/CEO, WeatherWorks Adirondack Park-wide Pilot and Pledge Recognition - Brittany Christenson, AdkAction
- Lake Champlain Watershed Deicing Conference, Burlington, VT, October 10, 2018
- State of Our Streams – Sean Regalado, VTDEC Watershed Management Division
- NH Case Study of State BMPs and Salt Reduction (PDF) - Caleb Dobbins, New Hampshire Department of Transportation
- How and Why Snow Removal Companies Across Vermont and New York Use Low-Salt Best Management Practices (PDF) - Holden Sparacino, UVM Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
- An Industry Perspective on Fighting Snow Effectively - Paul Vanderzon, Metal Pless, Inc.
- New Hampshire’s Green SnowPro Training (PDF) - Patrick Santoso, Axiomatic
- Sustainable Winter Management (SWiM™) Case Study Results (PDF) - Phill Sexton, Wit Advisors
- Lake Champlain Watershed Deicing Conference, Burlington, VT, September 29, 2017