COVID-19 Policies for Spring 2021:
On-Campus Requirements for Multi-Household Gatherings
The University of Vermont, for the purpose of compliance with directions from the State of Vermont, defines an on-campus household as an individual student’s residence hall room or a suite. Updated guidelines now allow the following:
- Students in traditional-style rooms can have one guest per occupant of the room, and everyone must wear masks.
- Students in suite-style rooms, defined as spaces with a shared common room, can have two guests per suite (not per resident). Everyone must wear masks.
- Guests must be current UVM students living on campus.
- Off-campus students and visitors not affiliated with UVM, including family members, are not permitted in the residence halls.
- Students should follow the Green and Gold Promise and all policies related to guests.
- Students who allow visitors into their residence hall rooms are encouraged to keep a contact journal of those visitors and must be open and honest with contact tracers.
Eating in Common Areas: Students are allowed to eat in the common areas of their building as long as they maintain social distance (6 feet) from other individuals. Students must wipe down all surfaces after eating with disinfectant wipes.
Face Coverings: Residents must wear face coverings at all times when outside of their rooms. The only exceptions are when showering, brushing your teeth, or eating. If using public areas in the residence halls (lounges, meeting rooms, kitchens, etc.) please use disinfectant wipes to clean down the area and all items used. If eating/drinking in a public area, you must be seated, you must maintain 6 feet of distance from others, and you are required to replace your face covering as soon as you have finished eating/drinking.
Travel and Quarantine: Whether vaccinated or not, students who travel outside of Vermont for non-essential purposed are in violation of the Green and Gold Promise. This grid illustrates travel and quarantine guidance for on-campus students.
As Vermont reopens, the state's Vermont Forward: Roadmap to Reopening plan allows higher education to operate under more stringent guidance than what the state provides. UVM’s requirements for students may therefore be less permissive than what the state or the city of Burlington currently allows. Students are required to adhere to UVM’s guidelines and to the Green and Gold Promise even in situations when state guidance is less restrictive.
Click here for additional COVID Health & Safety Information.