In this vibrant community you are free to explore your interest in the visual and performing arts by expanding and deepening your connection to creativity and expression.
LEARN WHERE YOU LIVE
Students have the opportunity to engage with students, staff, faculty and artists through weekly formal and informal connections, artist workshops, lectures, performances, exhibits and social gatherings.
- All first-time, first-year students in the Arts & Creativity Learning Community will be enrolled in a one-credit class, Foundations in the Arts (AS 095), which increases students’ connection to the multiple ways creativity plays in many aspects of daily life. The class introduces and examines three principle areas of the arts: Artistic Expression, Arts Curating and Arts Criticism.
- Current UVM students living in the Arts & Creativity Leaning Community will have the option to apply for an Enhanced Experience. If admitted, students will receive additional benefits, including special programming options, leadership opportunities, and the possibly of enrolling in a seminar to earn credit.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Become engaged in a variety of opportunities to develop and explore skills in the visual and performing arts.
- Consider yourself invited to bring your interests and passions to our community, while being open to new experiences.
- Strive to foster a sense of self-awareness, awareness of others’ creative expression, and how the arts inform an inclusive and active community.
- Discover your place as an A & C citizen—whether as a creator, performer, patron, or community-builder.
FIRST-YEAR EXPERIENCE (2019-2020)
RETURNER EXPERIENCE/ENHANCED EXPERIENCE (2019-2020)
- Emerging Media: photography, video, and digital art
- Body/Performance: dance, theatre, and movement
- 2-D/3-D: drawing, painting, beading, and sculpture
- Sound Art: music, singing, audio recording, and podcasts
- Word Space: readings, writing, poetry, and literature
LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES (2019-2020):
- Teaching Assistant: Work closely with the A & C faculty and staff to instruct the first-year course, Foundations in the Arts. Application opens in March.
- Resident Advisor: Work closely with the A & C team as a primary resource for students to build a sense of home and support community connections and involvement. Attend an info session in November.
- Event or Art Assistant: If you have a Federal Work-Study award, you may apply to be one of our many student employees. Learn new skills while helping with our community events.
- Hall Council: A great way to have a voice and action in our A&C community.
- Lit Club
- Open Mic Nights
- Bullet Journaling
- Paint and Sip
- Movie Nights
- Outdoor Student Concerts (spring & fall)
- Zine Making
- A & C Spring Art and Music Festival
- Exploring vibrant arts in Burlington and Winooski
2018-2019 ENHANCED EXPERIENCE
For a deeper dive, we invite students placed in Arts & Creativity to explore these current enhanced experiences.
Locations for 2018-2019: Hunt, McAuley, McCann, Ready, Richardson, Sichel
Please check your housing contract for more specific location information.