About Valerie Harder
Dr. Valerie Harder has a doctorate in Mental Health Epidemiology and a masters in Biostatistics from the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Harder has extensive experience leading research and evaluation teams to measure the impact of public health interventions to improve physical and mental health outcomes of youth and young adults. She leads a team of researchers to leverage large administrative healthcare data sources to assess the impact of quality improvement efforts, targeted interventions, and healthcare policies. In addition, Dr. Harder has conducted quantitative evaluations of improvement projects for health systems in primary and specialty care.
- PH307 Epidemiology II
Articles & Publications
Publications to date over the past five years (2017-2021)
- Harder, V.S., Varni, S.E., Murray, K.A., Plante, T.B., Villanti, A.C., Wolfson, D.L., Maruthi, S., Fairfield, K.M. (Accepted, 2021) Prescription Opioid Policies and Associations with Opioid Overdose and Related Adverse Effects. International Journal of Drug Policy. 97:103306. doi: 10.1016/j.drugpo.2021.103306. Online ahead of print.
- Harder, V.S., Plante, T.B., Koh, I., Rogers, E.B., Varni S.E., Villanti, A.C., Brooklyn, J.R., Fairfield, K.M. (In Press, 2021). Influence of opioid prescription policy on overdoses and related adverse effects in a primary care population. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 36(7):2013-2020. doi: 10.1007/s11606-021-06831-4. Online ahead of print.
- Harder, V.S., Shaw, J.S., McCulloch, C.E. Kill, L., Robinson, K.J., Shepard, M.T., Cabana, M.D., Bardach, N.S. (2020) Statewide Asthma Learning Collaborative Participation and Asthma-related Emergency Department Use. Pediatrics. 146(6):e20200213. doi: 10.1542/peds.2020.0213. Video Abstract: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/146/6/e20200213
- Green, A., Weinberger, S., Harder, V.S. (2020). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire as a Mental Health Screening Tool for Newly Arrived Pediatric Refugees. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 23(3):494-501. doi: 10.1007/s10903-020-01082-7.
- Weinberger S.J., Cowan, K.J., Robinson, K.J., Pellegrino, C.A., Frankowski, B.L., Chmielewski, M.V., Shaw, J.S., Harder, V.S. (2019). A primary care learning collaborative to improve office systems and clinical management of pediatric asthma. Journal of Asthma. 58(3):395-404. doi: 10.1080/02770903.2019.1702199.
- Harder, V.S., Musau, A.M., Musyimi, C.W., Ndetei, D.M., Mutiso, V.N. (2019). A randomized clinical trial of mobile phone motivational interviewing for alcohol use problems in Kenya. Addiction. 115(6):1050‐1060.
- Wasserman, R.C, Varni, S.E., Hollander, M.C., Harder, V.S. (2019). Where are Vermont’s Children Receiving Primary Care? An all-payer, claims-based, longitudinal, workforce analysis. Annals of Family Medicine. 17(5):390-395.
- Harder, V.S., Barry, S.E., French, S., Consigli, A., Frankowski, B. (2019). Improving Adolescent Depression Screening in Pediatric Primary Care. Academic Pediatrics. 19(8):925-933.
- Mbwayo, A.W., Mathai, M., Harder, V.S., Nicodimos, S., Vander Stoep, A. (2019) Trauma among Kenyan School Children in Urban and Rural Settings: PTSD Prevalence and Correlates. Journal of Child and Adolescent Trauma. 6(4):502-16.
- Harder, V.S., Barry, S.E., Ahrens, B., Davis W.S., Shaw, J.S. (2018). Quality Improvement to Immunization Coverage in Primary Care Measured in Medical Record and Population-Based Registry Data. Academic Pediatrics. 18(4): 437-444.
- Landrey, A.R., Harder, V.S., Sandoval, M.B., King, J.G., Zeligman, D.S., MacLean, C.D. (2018). Utilization Outcomes of a Pilot Primary Care Team Redesign. Health Services Research and Managerial Epidemiology. doi: 10.1177/2333392818789844.
- Shaw, J.S., Varni, S.E., Tolmie, B., Mohlman, M.K., Harder, V.S. (2017) Successful Integration of Pediatrics into State Health Care Reform Efforts. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 32(1):e1-8.
- Harder, V.S., Long, W.E., Varni, S.E., Samuelson, J.L., Shaw, J.S. (2017). Pediatric-Informed Facilitation of National Committee for Quality Assurance Patient-Centered Medical Home Transformation. Clinical Pediatrics. 56(6):564-570.
- Rubin, D.H., Crehan, E.T., Althoff, R.R., Rettew, D.C., Krist, E., Harder, V., Walkup, J.T., Hudziak JJ. (2017). Temperamental Characteristics of Withdrawn Behavior Problems in Children. Child Psychiatry and Human Development. 48(3):478-484.
- Wolfson, D.L., Tandoh, M.A., Jindal, M., Forgione, P.M., Harder, V.S. (2017). Adult Intraosseous Access by Advanced EMTs: A Statewide Non-Inferiority Study. Prehospital Emergency Care. 21(1):7-13.
Dr. Harder is a founding member of the Vermont Evaluation Network (VEN), was the Co-Chair for the first two years and is now an active member. VEN is a volunteer organization affiliated with the American Evaluation Association, a national organization. VEN meets quarterly to share current health and education-related evaluation projects across Vermont and surrounding areas, network, and support each other.