Hinesburg--For 4-H'ers from 11 4-H clubs in northwestern Vermont, April 13 was a day to show off their project work, achievements and talent at the annual Northwest 4-H Regional Day.
They gathered at Champlain Valley Union High School in Hinesburg for the annual event, which was sponsored by University of Vermont (UVM) Extension 4-H. In addition to earning ribbons, many of the participants, ages 8 and up, were selected to perform again at 4-H State Day, May 11, at the Barre Civic Center in Barre, with their stage presentations, illustrated talks, speeches and demonstrations or in the fashion revue. Several 4-H'ers also will share their tabletop displays, posters, photographs, videos and maker-tinker creations.
Continuing onto State Day are:
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Georgia Krause and Lea Krause, both from Addison
- POSTER: Chase Atkins, Mason Atkins and Abigail Reen, all from Lincoln; Brendan Gebo and Reigin Gracie, both from Bristol; Kylee Shepard, Middlebury
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Amelia Kennett (The Friesian Horse), Calvin Kennett (Frizzle Bantam Genetics), Tucker Kennett (Homing Pigeon Stages of Growth), Wyatt Kennett (Black River Canal System), all from Middlebury; Caleb Moran (Pulled Candy) and William Moran (Modern Automotive Safety Features: Black Holes), both from Bristol; Liam Wagner, Bridport (Animals That People Commonly Confuse)
- DEMONSTRATION (INDIVIDUAL): Addie Ploof, Westford (Fixing Fletching on a Bow)
- DEMONSTRATION (TEAM): Vivienne Babbott, Hinesburg, and Samantha Blackmore, Charlotte (How to Bear Tack Care); Emily Feltz, Colchester, and Julia McGibney, South Burlington (Needle Felting); Addie and Faith Ploof, Westford (When to Call Your Vet)
- FASHION REVUE: Thomas Sirvinskas, Milton (fleece pajamas with outer space theme)
- FUN WITH FOOD CHALLENGE (Theme: Healthy and Delicious Afterschool Snacks) Addie Ploof, Westford (roasted vegetable platter)
- ILLUSTRATED TALK: Benjamin Burton (Shells), Elijah Burton (Genes) and Norah Burton (Muscles), all from Williston; Annika Cooper, Colchester (Using Binary To Solve Logic Puzzles); Greta Friesen, Hinesburg (It's Time For Grooming); Juniper Murray (Tennis) and Prudence Murray (Blood Draws), both from Essex Junction; Griffin Preska, South Burlington (Bigelow Aerospace); Samantha Provost, Milton (Vikingur Hestur); Adrien Toneatti, Huntington (Ducks)
- MAKER-TINKER: Elijah Burton and Norah Burton, both from Williston and both created light-up paintings.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Vivienne Babbott and Olivia Osekoski, both from Hinesburg; Sammie Blackmore, Charlotte; Hannah Smiley, Milton
- POSTER: Luci Badillo, Essex Junction; Chloe Barewicz and Sadie Haupt, both from Jericho; Lily Merchant, Essex Junction; Jacob Niekrewicz, Williston; Addie Ploof and Faith Ploof, both from Westford; Hannah Smiley, Milton. Addie's poster won "Best in Show" so also will be on exhibit at Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Massachusetts, in September.
- PROMOTIONAL VIDEO: Addie and Faith Ploof, Westford with Sophie Zemianek, St. Albans (4-H Grows Here)
- PUBLIC SPEAKING: Lily Provost, Milton (Tail Swag); Addie Ploof (Community Service) and Faith Ploof (Hippotherapy), both from Westford
- SEWING (NON-CLOTHING): Emily Feltz, Colchester (tote bag)
- STAGE PRESENTATIONS: Flying Hooves 4-H Club, Colchester (Willie Wonka and his Candy Factory skit)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Natalie Jewett, Williston (Dog Life: Labrador Retrievers); Faith Ploof, Westford, with Sophie Zemianek, St. Albans (Types of Horse Hitches); Luke Lawson (Cool Codes), Miriam Lawson (Egg-cellent Grades) and William Lawson (Plane Flight), all from Cambridge and members of a Chittenden County 4-H club
- POSTER: Kelsey Paradee, Swanton
- PROMOTIONAL VIDEO: Addie and Faith Ploof, Westford, with Sophie Zemianek, St. Albans (4-H Grows Here)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Sophie Zemianek, St. Albans, with Faith Ploof, Westford (Types of Horse Hitches)
- ILLUSTRATED TALK: Audrey Chairvolotti (Effects of Non-Point Source Pollutants), Delia Farris (Preparing for Kittens) and Sadie Farris (How to Grow a Rosemary Plant), all from Grand Isle; Asa Rousseau, North Hero (Optical Illusions)
- MAKER-TINKER: Delia Farris and Sadie Farris, both from Grand Isle; Asa Rousseau and Ezri Rousseau, both from North Hero. All four 4-H'ers created light-up paintings. Sadie also made a robotic hand.
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Audrey Chairvolotti, Grand Isle (Effects of Non-Point Source Pollutants)
To learn more about the UVM Extension 4-H program, contact Martha Seifert at email@example.com (Addison County), Rose Garritano at firstname.lastname@example.org (Chittenden County) or Martha Manning at email@example.com (Franklin and Grand Isle Counties).