We recognize that for the foreseeable future, the pandemic radically limits the utilization of PDF, especially travel. In light of that, we are extending the award usage timeline to two summers (2021 and 2022). We do require that you begin spending the award during summer 2021, however, to encourage research progress.
How can you utilize these funds under current spending limitations?
- If you are doing archival work, use funds to pay the archive to copy or scan the documents for you.
- Hire a research assistant within current hiring guidelines
- Pay for a professional development workshop or online conference directly related to your research.
- Purchase supplies necessary for your project such as books, manuscripts, or art supplies.
- We are allowing limited technology purchases (camera, sound recording equipment, hard drives, tablets, portable keyboard). Certain software purchases will be allowed, but must be justified. No computers or laptops.
- Depending on how close to publication you are, secure publication rights for images or text, or pay a subvention fee.
- To encourage faculty members to reach the next level of achievement in their scholarly and creative trajectories. Both individual and collaborative achievement is encouraged. Successful applicants will describe their long-term intellectual and professional goals and how the Summer Research Award will help them achieve these objectives.
- To leverage institutional investment by providing the building blocks to support larger applications for competitive extramural funding.
Preference will be given to proposals that:
- Advance projects with broad societal, scholarly and/or creative impact that extends beyond UVM into the community and the world. Successful applicants will address the potential scope and impact of their proposed project.
- Support a trajectory that projects future scholarly productivity.
- Articulate potential for future intra- or extramural support.
- Have not received a Summer Research Award in the two previous cycles.
Interested faculty members should submit applications electronically by 4:00 p.m on April 15, 2021 to Luis Vivanco.
Applications should include:
- Name, contact information, including address and affiliation (if any)
- Category of award for which you are applying (Humanities, Fine Arts, or Social Sciences). Please note, unless otherwise specified and for interdisciplinary projects, the award review committee will determine the appropriate category.
- A two-page description of the project, making sure to address criteria expressed above.
- A brief work plan for the period June 1 - August 15, 2021 (and June 1-August 15, 2022 if travel is anticipated) that will guide the researcher's summer research activities.
- A budget and spending plan outlining proposed usage of PDF. Please be clear what your spending plan is for Summer 2021, and any expenses that may be pushed to 2022. Please note: if you do not have reasonable plans to spend money in 2021, but expect to spend it all in 2022, we will ask you to re-apply next year.
- Two-page CV.
- All funds must be expended by September 1, 2022. No extensions will be given.
- Submit a report summarizing completed activities (3-5 pages) by October 1
- Acknowledge the Humanities Center and OVPR in related publications or activities.
- Agree to serve on selection committee for future Summer Research Fellowship