Dr. Failla’s primary area of expertise is improving outcomes after sports and orthopedic related injuries. Specifically, his research has evaluated the effects of rehabilitation strategies on athletes after anterior cruciate ligament injury and reconstruction. Dr. Failla has additional interests in prevention of sports injuries, rehabilitation after orthopedic procedures, and sports-related shoulder injuries. Besides his Ph.D. training in biomechanics and movement science, Dr. Failla is an experienced residency trained clinician and a board certified specialist in sports physical therapy.
- Wellsandt E, Failla MJ, Snyder-Mackler L. Limb Symmetry Indexes Can Overestimate Knee Function After ACL Injury. Accepted, JOSPT 2017
- Failla MJ, Logerstedt DS, Grindem H, et al. Does Extended Pre-Operative Rehabilitation Influence Outcomes 2 Years after ACL Reconstruction? A Comparative Effectiveness Study between MOON and Delaware-Oslo ACL Cohorts. Am J Sports Med. July 14, 2016; published online before print July 14, 2016, doi:10.1177/0363546516652594
- Failla MJ, Logerstedt DS. Postsurgical Rehabilitation after Knee Articular Cartilage Repair. Physical Therapy Case Files: Sports. USA. McGraw-Hill; 2016
- Logerstedt DS, Failla MJ, Arundale AH. Rehabilitation and Return to Play after Knee Cartilage Repair. Let’s Discuss Series: Joint Preservation of the Knee. AAOS in distribution.
- Failla MJ, Arundale AH, Logerstedt DS, Snyder-Mackler L. Controversies in Knee Rehabilitation: Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury. Clin Sports Med. 34 (2015) 301 – 312 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/l.csm.2014.12.008
- Snyder-Mackler L, Axe MJ, Failla MJ, Gengenbacher K. Developing Treatment Pathways. Physical Rehabilitation of the Injured Athlete. 4th Edition. James Andrews, Gary Harrelson, Kevin Wilk, editors. McGraw-Hill; 2012
- Leard JS, Crane BA, Mayette DL, Maritzer AK, Libman D, Silva BC, Failla MJ. Responsiveness of the Figure-of-eight Tape Measurement to Detect Hand Size Changes of Patients with Acute and Chronic Hand Pathologies. Hand Therapy. September 21, 2008 vol. 13 no. 3 84-90.
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Sports medicine, knee injury prevention and treatment, shoulder injury prevention and treatment
- Ph.D., Biomechanics and Movement Science; University of Delaware
- M.S., Physical Therapy; University of Hartford
- B.S., Health Science; University of Hartford
- PT 320 - Understanding Evidence in PT Practice
- PT 328 - Independent Research Project
- PT 344 - Patient Management: Musculoskeletal 1