UVM faculty and staff can create spaces in Brightspaces for educational or organizational purposes. These spaces are for UVM affiliates only. No one without a UVM netid can access these spaces.
This is a multi-step process that requires requesters to complete activities that are housed in a Brightspace course.
Courses for non-credit spaces can now be created on-demand using the Non-Credit Course Management Gateway course, located in Brightspace.
Access the Non-Credit Course Management Gateway to Submit Enrollment Request
- Step 1: Log into Brightspace and Locate the Non-Credit Course Management Gateway course.
The Non-Credit Course Management Gateway course can be found in the Discover tool (on the green Nav Bar on the Brightspace landing page) or by accessing it directly using this link.
- Step 2: Request self-enrollment approval.
Click the Request Approval button. This will prompt you with an enrollment question that must be answered before you can proceed.
- Step 3: Submit your enrollment request. Once you have answered the enrollment question, you can submit your request for approval.
- You will see the following confirmation screen indicating that your request has been submitted and is Pending approval. The approval process takes 1-2 days.
- You can check the status of your request by visiting the Non-Credit Course Mgmt Gateway. Once your request moves from Pending to Approved, you can proceed to the next step, Create a Course with the Non-Credit Course Management Gateway.
Create a Course with the Non-Credit Course Management Gateway
NOTE: Follow these steps once your request for a non-credit course has been approved.
Step 1: Locate your approved non-credit course and click Open Course.
Step 2: Complete the Required Course Activities. The “Getting Started” announcement lists the three steps you will take to create the course. You can proceed directly to the first step, Policies and Use Agreement activity. The Use Agreement & UVM Policy Acknowledgement quiz requires you to acknowledge and agree to a set of statements before having access to the tool. Once the quiz is completed and submitted, you can return to the course home page.
Step 5: Access Your New Course. Click the provided link to directly access your newly created course. You’ll also be able to find this course in your Course List, as well as in the “Waffle” tool at the top of the page.
Change the Course Name
- Step 1: Find Course Offering Information. You will find the Course Offering Name in the Course Offering Information section of Course Admin (or the Course Availability option under Course Tools).
- Step 2: Update the Course Name. Enter the desired name for the course and save the changes.
Confirm “Discover” Settings for Courses with Self-Enrollment
- Step 1: Discover Settings.
Find the Discover settings in the Course Offering Information section of Course Admin (or the Course Availability option under Course Tools).
- Step 2: Check the Discover option. Users will need to self-enroll in your course. If you want users to be able to find your course (and then self-enroll) using the Discover tool, confirm that the checkmark “Make this course available in Discover so Learners can self-enroll” is checked.
Set Up Enrollment Approval
If you wish to restrict access to the course, you can enable approvals for self-enrollments. This will make it so participants have to request access to your course when enrolling. You as the instructor will need to approve these requests in order for them to access the course.
- Step 1: Navigate to Course Offering Information. Find the Discover settings in the Course Offering Information section of Course Admin or Course Tools
- Step 2: Check the Require approval for self-enrollment requests.
Add a Course Description for Discover view
You can add text descriptions for your course to help learners find your course using the Discover search tools.
- Step 1: Navigate to “Course Offering Information”. Find the Course Description in the Course Offering Information section of Course Admin (or the Course Availability option under Course Tools).
- Step 2: Fill out the course description. Enter a course description that will help learners find your course using the Discover search tools.
Make the Course Active
- Step 1: Active/Inactive SettingWhen you are ready, find the course Active setting in the Course Offering Information section of Course Admin or find it under Course Tools.
- Step 2: Make this course active, when you are ready. In order for learners to access the course, the course will need to be made active.
Note: This will cause the course to appear as searchable and enrollable in the “Discover” area of Brightspace. Only do this once you are ready for people to be able to see, search, and self-enroll in the course.
There are two ways participants can gain enrollment into a course: by enrolling themselves in the Discover area or being added directly by the instructor.
Enroll an Existing User
Instructors can manually enroll existing NetIDs into these self-enrollment courses.
- Step 1: Navigate to the Classlist.Locate the Classlist in Course Admin.
- Step 2: Add Existing user. Click Add Participants and select Add existing users.
- Step 3: Search for and Select the User. Locate the user that you are adding using the Add Existing Users search. Use any search term and search locations that make sense for your use. In the results list below select the user you want to enroll.
- Step 4: Select their Role. In the “Role” column, select which role the user needs to be enrolled in. Please note, that the roles that you have the permissions to enroll are included in this list and it is subject to change. This method can be used to add an Instructor (if you are creating the course for someone else), learners, and support staff.
- Step 5: Complete the enrollment. Once the role is selected click “Enroll Selected Users”
This will be done immediately.
Browse or Search the Discover Tool
- Step 1: Go to the Discover Tool. Navigate to the Discover tool on the NavBar.
- Step 2: Search/Browse Discover Use the Search, View All, or Browse All Content to bring up the Discover search page seen below. If you started a search you will see your results here. If you arrive from View All or Browse All Content, you will see a list of all available Discover courses which can then be searched or sorted.
Self-enrolling into a Non-Credit Course as a Participant
- Step 1: Find the course in the “Discover” area.
Courses that are available for self-enrollment can be found in the Discover tool, which is linked from the navigation bar on the landing page. Searching or browsing this area to find your self-enroll course, then clicking on the course, will allow you to enroll or request approval for enrollment. Alternatively, instructors may opt to send a direct self-enrollment link to participants.
If the course requires approval to enroll, you’ll need to complete steps 2 and 3 below.
- Step 2: Request the self-enrollment approval (if required).
Click the Request Approval button.
If there is no Enrollment Question your request will be submitted automatically.
If there is an Enrollment Question, you will be prompted to provide an answer before submitting.
- Step 3: Enrollment Question and Request Submission (if required).
Once you have answered the enrollment question, you can submit your request for approval. Once approved you will gain access to the course.
View Pending Enrollment Approval Requests
- Step 1: Navigate to Discover. Navigate to the Discover tool and select the “My Requests” icon
- Step 2: View Your Requests.
This will bring up a listing of all requests. From here you can select the request you would like to manage.
- Step 3: View or Change Request.
Click on the request you would like to manage. From here you can view the request information or withdraw it if you no longer wish to enroll.