Waterman Building

All applicants for graduate study at The University of Vermont are required to submit their applications online. Please be sure to check the deadlines for application and financial aid for your program.

Important: While completing your application online, please ensure that you type in all fields manually and do not allow your browser to autofill any fields. The autofill option can cause a delay in the review of your application.

Application Requirements

The following materials are required with your online application:

  • Electronic Application
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Application Fee of $65.00 for Master and Doctoral; $25 for CAS Supplemental; $20 for Certificate of Graduate Study
  • Email addresses for three people who will provide letters of recommendation.  This information is submitted within the application and letters are sent from the recommender directly to us through the application portal. 
  • One transcript from each institution you have attended, including the one you currently attend.  Unofficial transcripts uploaded by you are sufficient for the review process for most programs (Public Health applicants, please review your requirements).  Official transcripts are only required if you are admitted.  Please have official transcripts sent directly from your institution(s) to graduate.admissions@uvm.edu.
  • Residential Status Questionnaire (for in-state tuition purposes)
  • Test scores for English proficiency for applicants whose native language is not English.

The following materials may also be required for the program you are applying to.  Please check the requirements to see if this is applicable to your application:

  • Resume
  • Test Scores (e.g., GMAT, GRE)
  • Writing Sample

Policy Regarding Support Materials: Please note that all materials received in support of an application, except international documents considered irreplaceable, become the property of the Graduate College and cannot be returned, copied, or transferred.

Review Before you Apply


To be eligible for admission to any program, applicants must hold a U.S. baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or an equivalent degree from an accredited/recognized foreign institution prior to the date of first graduate enrollment at The University of Vermont. Individual degree programs may have additional requirements as described in our Programs and Degrees page. A number of departments and programs provide opportunities for selected UVM undergraduates to participate in Accelerated Master's Programs (AMPs).

Applicants are expected to be fluent in English; instruction at The University of Vermont is conducted in English. There is no intensive English as a Second Language program at the University, although limited instruction is available to enhance speaking fluency in English.

Statement of Purpose

In your Statement of Purpose, please outline your reasons for wishing to undertake graduate study, and comment on your career plans. Describe the strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study in your proposed field. If you are presently in a graduate program, please explain why you wish to apply to a new program. If there are gaps in your academic career, please address them.

Letters of Recommendation

UVM's Graduate College requires three letters of recommendation evaluating your academic work and potential for graduate study.  References are submitted online and will be collected electronically by the Admissions Office.  You do not need to wait to submit your application until the letters are in.

On the application form where you list your recommenders (name, address, email, etc.), you will need to click “Submit Recommendation Request” for each recommender.  When you do this,  an email is generated automatically to each of your recommenders explaining that you are applying to the University of Vermont Graduate College and it includes a link to the recommendation form to be completed.

If your recommender is having trouble with the online recommendation form, they can contact lor_help@collegenet.com for technical assistance, or email graduate.admissions@uvm.edu for further guidance.


Transcripts must be obtained from each of the post-secondary educational institutions you have attended and, if necessary, a notarized English translation of the transcripts. At this time, we accept electronic transcripts from the following services:

  • Direct from your institutions registrar's office
  • eScripts
  • National Student Clearinghouse
  • Parchment Exchange
  • A NACES or AICE approved third-party credential evaluation service which requires official transcripts for evaluation (for international students)

Electronic transcripts can be sent to: Graduate.admissions@uvm.edu.

Official Paper transcripts can be sent to:

The Graduate College Admissions Office
The University of Vermont
330 Waterman Building
Burlington, Vermont 05405-0160

“Official” transcripts are transcripts that are sent directly to The University of Vermont’s Graduate Admissions office by another institution – or as unopened documents from the student who received them from the institution.

“Unofficial” transcripts are transcripts that have been opened by the student or printed from an institution’s student portal.
With the exception of Public Health programs, we accept unofficial transcripts during the admissions review process; you can upload those directly to the application.  Official transcripts are required of applicants who are admitted to the Graduate College. If you are currently completing your undergraduate degree, you will need to send an official transcript documenting completion of the degree prior to enrollment.

We do not automatically receive UVM transcripts.  If you have attended UVM you will need to log into your MYUVM portal and request that the Registrar send an official transcript to graduate.admissions@uvm.edu.  This service is free and easy to accomplish.

Writing Sample

Writing samples (term papers or essays) are required in some programs — see the "Requirements" section of your program on Programs and Degrees page.

Test Scores for GRE and GMAT

The ETS Institution Code for test scores for UVM is: 3920

Special note: To meet the needs of students who are unable to take the GRE® General Test at a test center due to public health concerns, ETS is temporarily offering a GRE General Test at home option. The Graduate College will accept scores from the GRE General Test at home option for admission.

For more information about taking the GRE exam remotely, please visit ETS’s website at – GRE® General Test Takers.

Not all UVM programs require a GRE or GMAT.  Please check the requirements on Programs and Degrees to see if your department or program requires GRE subject scores in addition to the general scores.  If your program requires GRE or GMAT test scores, you must request that official scores be sent from the administering agency to the Graduate Admissions Office using school code 3920.  Scores are valid for 5 years from the test date.  Please be sure that the names you used for your application match exactly to the names you used on test scores.  Please allow 1-2 weeks for your scores to be sent and for your application status to indicate that scores have been received.

Note that The University of Vermont does not have a minimum GRE/GMAT score, and not all programs require them.  For those that do, scores are used as only one component of your whole application in a holistic review process.

Questions about the GRE examination may be directed to:

Graduate Record Examination
Educational Testing Service
Box 6000, Princeton, NJ 08541-6000
Telephone, 609-771-7670

For the GMAT examination:

Graduate Management Admissions Test, ETS
Box 6103, Princeton, NJ 08541-6103
Telephone, 609-771-7330

Test Scores for English Proficiency Examination

Applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit proof of English proficiency. For further information about the English Proficiency Requirement, please visit our international admissions page.

Application Fee Waiver Requests

We offer application fee waivers for applicants who are current members of:

  • Ameri Corps
  • Black in AI
  • Gates Millennium Scholars
  • Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
  • Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC)
  • Peace Corps
  • Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
  • Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)

Or past membership in any of the TRIO programs:

Or is a graduate from the following institutions in the U.S.:

Or current recipients of DACA.

To request a waiver, please send verification of participation to graduate.admissions@uvm.edu and request a review of your eligibility for a waiver code. Please allow a minimum of 1-2 days for your request to be processed.

Applying to More than One Degree Program

The University of Vermont allows you to apply to more than one program, but you must submit a separate application for each program.  All applications are customized to meet the needs of each specific program.  After you have submitted and paid for your first application, you will need to go back into the application with the same UserID and password and start a new application for the second program you would like to apply to.  When you submit the second application, you will be prompted to pay another application fee.

If you are applying for a certificate as well as a degree, you will first have to apply for the degree as instructed above. Once accepted to the degree program, you can log back into your portal and click the option to apply as a certificate student.  This process will prompt you to contact Graduate Admissions for a fee waiver code.  Note that all requests for waiver will be checked to ensure the applicant has been admitted and is enrolled in a graduate program prior to providing waiver.


After you’ve Applied

I would like to check the status of my application

You can log into your personal portal (where you applied) to view your application status at any time during and after the application process. You will be able to see materials that have been received, if the application is in review, and eventually when a decision is made.

I would like to change something in my application

“I need to change a recommender, edit their email, resend the request, or send a reminder.  How do I do this?”

  • By following the instructions below, you can change or edit your recommender’s information and send a reminder/request (note:  you cannot change a recommender once they have started the form, but you can send a reminder):
    • Go to the Application menu
    • Click “Manage Your Account”
    • Log in with the email address and password used for your application
    • Click “View All Forms” (if applicable)
    • In the section for “Online Letters of Recommendation”, you can see who you requested and whether or not they’ve started their recommendations yet
      • Look for the drop-down menu that says “Action”
      • The two selections are “Edit/Change this recommender” and “Send reminder”
      • The first option allows you to edit the recommender’s name and /or email address.  When you are done editing, the original link is deactivated and a new email is automatically generated and sent using the new information.
      • The second option will send another email with the recommendation form link to the recommender

"I didn’t have a document at the time of submission. How do I attach it to my application now?"

  • Once you press submit you are not able to add additional documentation.  If you have something to add, please send it to graduate.admissions@uvm.edu and we will upload it for you.

How will I know when a decision has been made on my application?

Once a decision is made on your application, you will receive an email from graduate.admissions@uvm.edu indicating there has been a decision made and prompting you to log into your account. Once in your personal portal you will see the decision and, if accepted, given the option to accept or decline your enrollment. Please be sure to let us know if you intend to accept our offer.

How can I find out information about housing and getting around Burlington?

Information about housing and other helpful information about the town of Burlington can be found on our Graduate Student Life page.

I have been accepted to The University of Vermont Graduate College but I need to defer my enrollment (change to a later semester). What do I do?

If you have received an offer of admission from the Graduate College, you may defer enrollment for up to one year beyond the initial semester you applied for, pending approval from the program of study. Please contact the Graduate Admissions office at graduate.admissions@uvm.edu and attach the following form:

Request to Defer Graduate Degree Admission (PDF)

Your application and supporting materials are valid for one year. Should you wish to defer your admission beyond one year of the initial semester for which you applied, you must submit a new application, supporting documentation and the prevailing application fee.



Contact us with questions concerning your application or our graduate programs:

Email: graduate.admissions@uvm.edu
Phone: 802-656-2699


The Graduate College Admissions Office
The University of Vermont
330 Waterman Building
Burlington, Vermont 05405-0160