Getting Started: Farmstand or Pick-Your-Own

Want to bring the public to your farm for pick-your-own? Use the checklists to get you thinking about licensing, permits and regulations.

Apple picking

Land Use Regulations

  • Read through the zoning regulations for your municipality and familiarize yourself with Act 143. To determine if your agritourism addition meets the specifications of Act 143, you can use the guide above.
    • Obtain a zoning permit, if necessary.
    • Determine if your municipality requires a site plan review.
    • Submit an application and site plan review to your municipality, if necessary.


  • Decide what products will be U-Pick.
    • Research any regulations and permits that may be necessary for those products. (See below.)
  • Meet with a regional permit specialist.
  • If doing construction/renovations, contact a district coordinator to determine the need for obtaining an Act 250 permit.
  • If doing construction/renovations obtain a public building permit.
  • Note: Selling products out of a farm stand or market aside from pick-your-own would require different licensing. Please refer to the Farm Product Food page and/or the Stores/Markets page for more information.

The following table can help you navigate the regulations and licenses required for various types of foods and products that you may be selling or serving.

  • If you are selling wholesale, follow regulations listed below.
  • If you are producing and serving food regularly, then you may need licensing from the agency for food processing, as well as separate licensing for food service from the Department of Health.
  • If you are using products from your farm to make any of these products (for example, jams) then you should follow any regulations listed below for those products.
Food ProductExamplesAgency with OversightPermits/Licenses that Apply

General Produce

Tomatoes, corn, squashVermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets

Phone: 802-461-5128

  • The Vermont Produce Program can provide you with additional resources and support to ensure you are meeting all regulations and requirements.


 Vermont Statutes

Phone: 802-828-2430


 Vermont Statutes

Phone: 802-828-2430


 Vermont Statutes

Phone: 802-828-2430



  • Read through Act 31.
    • Post signs at agritourism activities that meet the specifications of Act 31.
    • Include the warning notice language in every written contract between an agritourism host and a participant.
  • Check with your insurance agent to make sure this type of activity is covered in your policy.

Note: The main thing with pick-your-own is liability, so following Act 31 is essential.