Central Vermont Farmland

Help for both farmers and land owners

We are here to help new and existing farmers find the land they need to sustainably grow crops and raise livestock while building financial viability.

We work one on one with farmers looking to acquire or lease land, and land owners interested in making their land available for farmers. For farmers we assist with exploring farm access and financing possibilities, and navigating through various options and considerations for farm acquisition. For landowners we provide information on ways to partner with farmers, lease land, or transition ownership of farmland and/or farm businesses.

Early help with developing agreements:

We facilitate early-stage negotiations for all types of farm tenure agreements, ranging from short term leases to longer term ownership transition scenarios. We serve as an objective, non-biased, third party, providing relevant information on options and considerations for all parties to the agreement.

Farm transition and business planning support

We work with retiring farmers to develop plans for transitioning management and ownership of farm assets to the junior generation. We provide business planning assistance when the business plan is connected with maintaining enterprise viability during farm transfer from senior to junior generations, or establishing success on a new farm or new potential location.

Site assessment services

We are once again able to offer site visits for farm land, water, and infrastructure assessment.  Our goal is to help provide you with an understanding of the knowledge and resources that can help you make the best, most informed decisions about the sustainable establishment and management of productive assets --  namely land, water and farm infrastructure.  Please visit the Land Assessment Services page to see if we can help in your particular situation.

Land Access Resources for Farmseekers & Landowners


Interested in knowing more about the Center's work or seeking additional information? Contact Extension via the short form on this page and one of our colleagues will help get you the resources you need.