- Project Director, EVOLVE Plus
- University Distinguished Professor of Special Education
Michael F. Giangreco, Ph.D., is a University Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Special Education at the University of Vermont. He also served as director of Project EVOLVE Plus, supporting schools other education affiliated organizations.
Prior to joining the UVM faculty in 1988, he served in a variety of capacities (e.g., community residence counselor with adults with developmental disabilities, special education teacher, special education administrator). His professional interests focus on how to plan, adapt, coordinate, implement, and evaluate educational programs and services for students with disabilities who are included in general education classrooms.
Dr. Giangreco is the author of numerous professional publications on a variety of special education topics, especially related to inclusive education for students with development disabilities, paraprofessionals, related services, and inclusive school service delivery. He has published a series of cartoons depicting educational issues and research findings that are now available at the UVM Center for Digital Initiatives in online collection "Absurdities & Realities of Special Education" which can be found at https://cdi.uvm.edu/collection/giangrecocartoons.
Michael's recent work has focused on five topics:
- The inclusion of students with disabilities in general education classrooms
- Paraprofessional Support of Students with Disabilities
- Educational curriculum planning for students with disabilities, particularly an approach called "COACH"
- Use of Creative Problem-Solving to facilitate inclusive education, and
- Coordination and decision-making pertaining to related services and other support services, including VISTA