Michael F. Giangreco, Ph.D., is a University Distinguished Professor of Special Education at the University of Vermont and is also affiliated with the Center on Disability & Community Inclusion. Prior to joining the faculty at UVM in 1988, he served in a variety of capacities (e.g., community residence counselor with adults with developmental disabilities, special education teacher, special education administrator). His professional interests focus on how to plan, adapt, coordinate, implement, and evaluate educational programs and services for students with disabilities who are included in general education classrooms. Dr. Giangreco is the author of numerous professional publications on a variety of special education topics and has published a series of cartoons depicting educational issues and research findings.
Michael is the Project Coordinator of EVOLVE Plus, which offers school-based research, training, technical assistance, and collaborative consultation on a fee-for-service basis.
Michael's recent work has focused on five topics:
- The inclusion of students with disabilities in general education classrooms
- Paraprofessional Support of Students with Disabilities
- Educational curriculum planning for students with disabilities, particularly an approach called "COACH"
- Use of Creative Problem-Solving to facilitate inclusive education, and
- Coordination and decision-making pertaining to related services and other support services, including VISTA