Biomedical Engineering Objectives & Outcomes
BME Program Educational Objectives
The educational objectives of UVM’s Biomedical Engineering program are to provide our graduates with disciplinary breadth and depth to fulfill complex professional and societal expectations by:
- pursuing careers as practicing engineers or using their program knowledge in a wide range of other professional, educational and service activities.
- assuming leadership roles and seeking continuous professional development.
- contributing to their profession and society while appreciating the importance of ethical and sustainable practices, diversity, and inclusion.
Updated February 2020
BME Student Outcomes
Student outcomes for the Biomedical Engineering Program are
Outcomes (1) through (7) as listed below:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
BME Undergraduate Enrollment Data for Past Four Years
Total Number of FT and PT students: 159 (2019-20), 124 (2018-19), 93 (2017-18), 38 (2016-17), 0 (2015-16)
Number of BS Degree Graduates: 23 (2019-20), 11(2018-19), 0 (2017-18), 0 (2016-17), 0 (2015-16)
All Bachelor of Science degrees in Biomedical Engineering (BSBME) are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012.
Updated: September 2020
College of Engineering and Mathematics
Department of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering