View from Ira Allen Chapel

The political science department is committed to one-on-one advising to assist you in identifying your academic and career goals, and to help you find pathways to meet these goals. Successful academic advising happens when students and faculty advisors work together as a team. Your academic advisor has expertise in scholarly issues; the College of Arts and Sciences Student Services office can help you to identify many other resources you may need, including free professional advising and support concerning student health, legal matters, writing and learning skills, general career planning, lifestyle/residential issues, academic accommodations and more.

Advising sessions can cover topics such as course selection, transfer credit, study abroad, tutoring and career plans.

Who is my advisor, and how can I schedule an appointment?

You can find out who your advisor is by consulting your academic record (myUVM Portal, Degree Audit Report for Students.) You can always drop by your advisor's weekly office hours. To find out when any faculty member is holding office hours this term, click on their name on the faculty list. If you are unable to come to office hours, simply send your advisor an email to set up an appointment.

Can I request a different advisor?

Yes, you may request a new advisor within the department. To do so, please contact Peter VonDoepp at, (802.656.4325). If you have a particular faculty member in mind, please speak with him or her first to approve the change.

What courses do I have to take to complete a Bachelor's degree in the College of Arts and Sciences?

See an updated list of requirements for a College of Arts & Sciences major. In general, unless students are double-majors (with one major in the sciences), political science majors pursue a bachelor of arts degree, not a bachelor of sciences degree.

How can I find out which requirements I have not yet completed?

Current students can find out exactly which requirements (university, college, and departmental) they have already met, and which requirements they must still meet, by running a personalized Degree Audit report. If you need help, your advisor can help you understand the report.

How can I find out about pre-law advising and resources?

Learn more about pre-law advising and resources.

How can I get course credit for political internships?

Students find political, governmental, and media internships and earn internship credit through the College of Arts and Sciences Internship Program.