Staff Council News
Staffline: October Edition
This month's Staffline is filled with lots of great information about upcoming events, discounts for employees, and educational opportunities within our community. We have a Shopping Bus Trip to Settler's Green Outlet Village in North Conway, NH scheduled for Saturday, November 17, 2012 and our Annual Holiday Bazaar and Food Drive will be held on Thursday, December 6, 2012. Tables are still available to rent for the Holiday Bazaar, but they are going fast. Take the time to click on all the links below to learn more.
Remember, if you print any of the information found in Staffline, please choose the double sided or multiple page option on your printer to reduce paper usage.
Please consider following the Staff Council on Twitter and/or Facebook or bookmark our RSS feed to stay connected to the latest news from Staff Council.
EDUCATION OUTREACH CAMPAIGN
Educate Yourself. Make a Decision. Vote!
An election for eligible UVM staff members to vote on the question of staff unionization was held on September 18 and 19. None of the three choices on the ballot received more than fifty percent of the votes, so a runoff election between the top two choices (see Question 2 below) must be held and will likely be scheduled by the Vermont Labor Relations Board in approximately two months.
Results of the September 18-19 election:
- 777 people were eligible to vote and 618 (79.5%) voted
- Question 1: Do you want to be represented by a union? YES – 339 (55%); NO – 278 (45%); 1 invalid ballot
- Question 2: Do you want to be represented by:
- USU-NEA – 183 (30%)
- United Staff – 168 (27%)
- Neither – 260 (42%)
- Invalid – 7 (1%)
The two involved unions (University Staff Union-NEA and United Staff) and the University have ten business days to file any challenge to the election. If there are no challenges, the Vermont Labor Relations Board will certify the results and schedule a runoff election.
What is a runoff election?
A runoff election is a second round vote, used when no ballot option receives a simple majority of all votes cast. If one of the options under Question 2 had received a simple majority of the 618 votes cast, a runoff election would not be necessary.
What will be on the ballot in the runoff election?
Voters will be choosing between: (1) being represented by University Staff Union-NEA; or (2) not being represented by a union.
If I am not in favor of the union, can I express my disinterest by not voting?
No. The result of the election is determined by a simple majority of the number of people who cast a vote. Therefore, the only way to express your opinion, either for the union or opposed to the union, is to exercise your right to vote.
For more Questions and Answers on the Runoff Election, see the front page of the Informed Choice site.
Information From Staff Council
- A Note from Staff Council President Catherine Symans
- Staff Council Standing Committee Reports
- Staff Council Sponsored Discounts
- Staff Council Sponsored Events
- Shopping Bus Trip - Sat., Nov. 17, 2012 - Settler's Green Outlet Village, No. Conway, NH
- Staff Council Holiday Bazaar and Food Drive - Thurs., Dec. 6, 2012
- Second Annual UVM Staff Art Exhibit
- To Learn More Visit our Discounts and Events webpage
- Get Involved with Staff Council
- Visit our website to learn how you can get involved in Staff Council. Our next Staff Council meeting is Tuesday, October 2, 2012 from 12:05pm - 1:30pm in the Davis Center, Livak Ballroom.
- Staffline Deadlines and Distribution Dates
- The deadline for the November Edition of Staffline is Friday, October 19, 2012. This edition will be distributed on November 1, 2012. For more information about submission guidelines and deadlines, please visit the Staffline webpage.
Human Resource Services News
- Vermont Labor Relations Board Election Update
- "Know Your Numbers" Wellness Campaign
- October's Wellness News: Help with Burnout
- Flu Shots On Campus for UVM Employees
- UVM has scheduled on-campus Flu Shot Clinics for staff and faculty with health care coverage through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont. Clinics will be on October 23-24 and 30-31. More information and a link to register will be published in UVM News You Should Know and available on the HRS website.
- Winter Break Days for UVM Staff
- Don't forget that the Winter Break Days were made permanent in 2011 at the Staff Appreciation Week Social on the Green. The Winter Break days for 2012 are December 26, 27, and 28. Refer to the Administrative Holidays website for more information.