This body of work is the culmination of a semester's worth of research. The task taken on by the 2001 Historic Preservation 206 class has been to determine which of the structures, built between 1830 and 1853 as shown by the Aimee B. Young, and the Presdee and Edwards maps, respectively, are still in existence.

Section 12 encompasses the area north of North Street, and between Intervale Avenue and Hyde Street in Burlington, VT. This section, part of the area affectionately known as the "Old North End," sits along what was the busy route between the City's waterfront port and the mills of neighboring Winooski. The neighborhood has had boisterous, important effects on the history of Burlington.

Greek Revival was the dominant architectural style during these 23 years. Fifteen structures within Section 12 are believed to still exist from this period. They fall under three main forms:


Two-story, brick or brick-veneered, gable-end entry, Greek Revival homes.
Three bays wide, three bays deep. They are rectangular in massing with brick voussoir (soldier orientation) lintels and full pediments on the front facade. There are four buildings in Section 12 of this type:

230 North Street
318 North Street
219 North Winooski Avenue
221 North Winooski Avenue


Two-story, balloon-framed, wood-clad, gable-end entry homes. These roughly mimic the more classic Greek Revival styles in massing and proportion. There are four buildings in Section 12 of this type:

244 North Street
304 North Street
171 North Union Street
213 North Winooski Avenue


Smaller, single or 1 1/2 story, balloon-framed, "worker" type dwellings. Also gable-end entry, these house were designed to be functional, less formal shelter. There are three buildings in Section 12 of this type:

218 North Street
157 North Union Street
161 North Union Street


The remaining houses are either variants on the above or are eclectic examples.

The structures have undergone various evolutions of repairs, refits, additions, and discombobulations, both inside and out.

All buildings originally had rubble stone foundations.