This house is a wood-framed structure that mimics the fashionable, yet more expensive, brick, Greek Revival style houses. It is very similar in form to 218 North Street (see 218 North Street), and shows up on the Presdee & Edwards map as a simple block with no additions. John Arnold is believed to have built the house and lived here, prior to transferring the property to son Robert Arnold, a saddler, and then moving to 218 North Street. Robert owned lived here with his family from 1865 until around 1870 when his son Henry, who also worked as a saddler, took over the property. Henry resided here until beyond 1900 1. The structure next door, 248 North Street, served as their harness shop.
Prior to 1889 substantial additions had been made off the rear. Circa 1920 a second floor was added to the single story rear addition. Around 1940, a wrap around porch was added to the south and east façades, cornering into the rear addition. The roofing was and still is slate.
Presently this house is broken up into numerous apartments.
1. Burlington Directories
~BACK TO INDEX~