This is the one example of the patterned, 2 story, Greek Revival houses in the author's section that was built of solid brick. Heman A. Crooker, who the house is named after, was a mason, and came from a family of masons. City records show that Mr. Crooker acquired a piece of property at this rough address in 1865, but that deed of sale refers to other property Mr. Crooker owned directly next door. Heman is though to have built this house and many of the other similar structures. Unique to this property is the veneered-brick garage that sits behind the house along the western property line. Fine brickwork around the roofline and large wooden doors in both the front and gable end make the garage a most interesting structure. Heman had a daughter, Fannie, and a son, Heman Jr. Heman Jr. also worked as a mason and a carpenter. Heman Sr. lived in this house from before 1865 until his death in September of 1897 1.
The 1900 Sandborn map is the first issue to cover this area
of Burlington. Shed additions had been made to the garage by this
time; one on the rear and one on the east façade. A veneered
rear addition plus an entrance porch (or perhaps an entry to the
basement) had been added by this time. Prior to 1906 the rear
porch was expanded and a long, thin porch was added along most
of the eastern façade. From c. 1910 to 1925 some expression
of "Music & D" (presumably dancing) could be found
here. A repair shop was run out of the garage during this time.
By 1926 the house functioned as a shop of some sort, and by 1938
it was again a dwelling. Sometime before 1938 the rear addition
had been expanded. By 1942 there were two apartments in the garage!
A front porch had been added at the main entrance, as well. Few
changes have occurred since then. The brick portion of the building
1. Burlington Directory -1898
~BACK TO INDEX~