OPEN — Proposals are now being accepted for 2020
(Current and previous UVMVentures awardees are eligible to apply.)
We use an online submission system. All submisson details can be found in the online application. Please go to InfoReady Review:
- Click "Log In" (upper right-hand corner).
- Click blue "University of Vermont Login" button. Log in with your UVM Netid.
- Scroll down the homepage and click on "UVMVentures Fund" in the list of open competitions.
- Read competition details and click the "Apply" button.
DEADLINE: Friday, May 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) is issuing this Call for Proposals for projects that are ready to accelerate the commercialization of technology developed at the University of Vermont and provide next-generation employment opportunities throughout Vermont. This award will provide hard-to-get financial support for final validation of prototypes and other proof-of-principle work and to initiate the early phases of scaling up production which will enhance the prospect of success of UVM start-ups and licenses.
Requirement for Computational Research Funded by OVPR
For computational research at UVM, we offer the services of the Vermont Advanced Computing Core (VACC). The core has multiple clusters to provide high-performance computing to faculty, staff and students.
Use of the VACC for internally funded grants is required for funding unless the PI submits a written request (to be reviewed by the OVPR) that explains why this core facility is not adequate to suit his/her research need. If you do not currently have an account with the VACC, you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org and specify your needs. The VACC Team will assist you with the setup of an account.
Who May Apply
This competition is open to UVM faculty or staff who have filed an Invention Disclosure with UVM Innovations and have met with them, indicating an interest to pursue commercial opportunities. These awards are not for basic science development or refinement of technology.
Amount and Duration
For FY20, award amounts up to $50,000 will be granted. Award funds must be spent by the end of the fiscal year, with possible extensions available.
Criteria for Selection
Awards are made on a competitive basis that takes into consideration the quality of the application, including:
- potential to contribute to local and state economic development
- probability of attracting future investments or licensing within Vermont
- commercial potential and business viability, including protection by patent or copyright
- technical merit
- maturity of project
- projected ability of innovation to sustain competitive advantage
- qualifications of project team members and their ability to complete project plan
Funds may be used to:
- support retention of a highly technical workforce within Vermont
- fund qualified startup ventures based on UVM research
- fund UVM technologies on the path to commercialization
- fund access to UVM resources, such as the Instrumentation and Model Facility (IMF)
Funds may not be used for:
- faculty salary
Please click the dropdowns below to see our awardees.