OPEN — Proposals are now being accepted
In an effort to work more closely with industry and businesses, the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) is pleased to offer the UVM Industry Fellowship Program (UVM-IFP). This program seeks to address the needs of businesses by partnering them with the expertise of UVM faculty members and doctoral-level graduate students or postdoctoral research associates.
Specifically, UVM faculty members will identify industries or businesses with which to pursue areas of intellectual and/or commercial opportunities of mutual interest to both the industry partner and the faculty member. The faculty member (through this funding mechanism) and the commercial partner (through their own funding) will be expected to co-fund a portion of a doctoral-level graduate student or postdoctoral research associate. This individual will work on a project specific to the industry partner’s identified needs under the guidance of the faculty member and in full compliance with governing laws and UVM policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Once a need is identified and defined, faculty members and their industry partner should contact OVPR’s Dan Harvey at Dan.Harvey@uvm.edu and electronically provide the following information:
- A 1-page description of the project that demonstrates how the partnership is consistent with the strategic direction of the home College of the faculty member and UVM.
- A 1-page description of the science involved in the project.
- A 1-page description of why the science is dependent on or advanced by the UVM and industry scientists working together.
- A 1-page description of what the postdoc or grad student brings to the project team. Are there specific skills needed for the project and, if so, what are they?
- A description of the industry partner — brief history, primary business function, any past relationship you have had with them. The industry partner must be a viable, incorporated, for-profit business based in the United States. This can be longer than 1 page, if necessary.
- A 1-page budget.
- CV's for yourself, the postdoc or grad student and, if possible, the industry scientist. CV's can be 2 to 3 pages each.
- IMPORTANT: Provide information on whether or not there is existing intellectual property (IP), existing IP that will be modified, or new IP generated. Take as much space as you need for this.
Criteria for Selection
The OVPR will consider the scholarly merit of the project along with potential issues concerning intellectual property, UVM and federal regulations relating to graduate students and postdoctoral research associates, and any other technical/legal issues that may be identified. Approval of the proposal rests with the OVPR.
Amount and Duration
Approved proposals will include a commitment by the OVPR of funds equal to those committed by the business partner, up to $40,000 per year. Each fellowship will last up to one (1) year with the opportunity to reapply for a second year. The program will fund up to two (2) fellows annually.
For more information, please contact Dan Harvey at Dan.Harvey@uvm.edu.