To get you started as a new member of the UVM community, we have assembled information and resources that will guide you through the first days, weeks, and months of your employement.
STEP 1: Before Your Day One Orientation Session:
To streamline New Employee Orientation, complete the following tasks before your orientation session:
- Set up your new NetID.
- Set up DUO Security. Duo Security is a multi-factor authentication tool used by UVM to protect sensitive information.
- Obtain your Parking Permit. Faculty and staff who want to park on the UVM campus must have a parking permit and require a valid UVM I.D. when applying for a permit. Payment through payroll deduction is available. New employees attending Orientation will receive a link to a one-day on-campus parking permit (new employees attending orientation only). "UVM Affiliated employees" are eligible for parking under the same policies as faculty and staff, however without the option of payroll deduction.
- Log into PeopleSoft>Human Resources to:
- Update W-4 if needed (Contact Payroll@uvm.edu with questions).
- Sign-up for direct deposit (Contact Payroll@uvm.edu with questions).
- Add or update personal information and emergency contacts.
- Review Benefits via the link included in your Welcome letter or directly online.
- Review your Employee Handbook or Collective Bargaining Agreement.
STEP 2: Your First Day
Please complete the following tasks by the end of your first day at UVM. Instructions are below, however if you need additional help you can find more information in the Personal Information Instruction Manual.
Sign up for Direct Deposit
Direct deposit of your UVM paycheck is mandatory and can be set up and managed through the Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > Direct Deposit link in PeopleSoft Human Resources.
Obtain your Parking Permit
Faculty and staff wishing to park on the UVM campus must obtain a parking permit. Individuals who are considered "affiliated employees" by the University are eligible for parking under the same policies as faculty and staff, without the option of payroll deduction. Faculty and staff may be asked to provide a valid UVM I.D. when applying for a permit. New employees attending Orientation will receive an Orientation letter with a link to a one-day on-campus parking permit (this is for new employees attending orientation only).
Pickup your CatCard (Campus ID)
All faculty and staff members at the University are entitled to have an ID card. We are a one-card campus — all campus amenities are serviced via the one UVM CatCard. This card provides you access to your privileges, meal plans, door access and the UVM debit account known as CAT$cratch. All faculty and staff members must be in the PeopleSoft system before being eligible to obtain an ID card. You are required to bring a form of a government issued photo ID with you (Driver's license, Military ID, Passport, etc). CatCard Service Center
Sign up for CatAlert Emergency Notifications
Attend New Employee Orientation online from 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM via Zoom.
Log into PeopleSoft through the Human Resources Login.
Navigation: Self Service > Personal Information > Phone Numbers
Click the Add a Phone Number button.
Click the Phone Type list from the drop down box.
Click the Phone of Type column, choose types with the word “emergency.”
Enter the additional or new telephone number in the Telephone field.
Click the Save button.
Click the OK button.
Include your Emergency Contacts
Login to PeopleSoft through the Human Resources Login.
Navigation: Self Service>Personal Information>Emergency Contacts
The screen will open displaying current information.
Click Add Emergency Contact
The Emergency Contact Detail page will appear. Enter the contact information and click Save.
Beyond Your First Week
New staff and faculty are required to take the online course entitled “Preventing Harassment and Discrimination,” which is delivered via email after hire.
There are many helpful resources available to all faculty and staff at UVM. Please see the list on the right and visit the Human Resources hub for links to employee-specific information, forms, policies and procedures.