Before forwarding a contract to General Counsel for review, it is imperative that you, as the contract sponsor, ensure that:
- You have programmatic approval for the commitment.
- There is sufficient funding for the contract and a budget is included, if applicable.
- All terms, including legal names, notice contacts, dates, etc. have been accurately entered into the Agreement.
- You, the contract sponsor, have reviewed the document thoroughly to ensure that it correctly states your understanding of the business terms with the contracting party.
- If possible, an editable (Microsoft Word) version of the Agreement has been provided to expedite review.
When our Office receives a contract, we will review its legal terms and conditions. Sometimes, a contract will require negotiation with the other party. Upon review and approval by the Office of the General Counsel, OGC will forward the contract to the appropriate office on campus for signature and return the executed contract to you. You must then forward the contract to the other party for their signature, if not already signed by that party.
To submit a contract for review, please complete an Electronic Contract Approval and Routing Form, and attach all relevant documents. For the most efficient review and approval of a contract, it is best to contact our Office during the planning stages and a minimum of thirty (30) days before the contract's effective date.