For general information or to be referred to an attorney, contact our office during regular business hours. Those hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

UVM Office of the General Counsel
357 Waterman Building
Burlington, Vermont 05405
Phone: (802) 656-8585

Statement on the Retention of Outside Counsel

The Office of the General Counsel is exclusively responsible for engaging the services of outside law firms for specialized legal needs. Staff, faculty, and students may not employ outside attorneys to represent or provide legal services to the University or any of its related entities. The decision to retain outside counsel resides solely with the Vice President for Legal Affairs and General Counsel.

Personal Representation Referrals

The Office of the General Counsel does not provide personal legal advice or representation to UVM administrators, faculty, students, or staff. The following resources may be helpful towards that end:

  • Students: Student Legal Services (SLS) is a student-run organization, funded by the Student Government Association, which aids students on campus with legal problems. Legal counsel is provided by two attorneys from the Burlington law firm of Blodgett, Watts, Volk & Sussman, P.C., whose services SLS retains. To meet the University’s physical distancing requirements, please email or call (802) 656-4379 for an appointment to discuss personal matters.
  • Faculty and Staff: The Vermont Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service is available to members of the public at no cost, Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, at 1-800-639-7036.


All materials provided on this website, including the contents of linked pages, are provided for general informational purposes only. While we seek to provide links to current and authoritative information, neither UVM nor this office guarantees the accuracy of information accessible online; therefore, this information must not be relied upon as substitute for legal advice from a qualified attorney. Please contact a UVM Office of the General Counsel attorney to obtain current legal advice specifically responsive to your questions.