Professor Shana Haines talking with a student.

Exceptional academic advising requires both the advisee (student) and faculty advisor to be well informed and fully engaged in the process.

The Degree Audit is an academic advising tool that provides necessary information relevant to the student's progression through the program of study.

It is the student's responsibility to be familiar with the advising materials so they are prepared to make informed decisions throughout their program in the College of Education and Social Services (CESS). In addition to these materials, students will also have access to their Degree Audit. It is a more comprehensive version of the Program Checksheet which shows courses in progress, assigned grades for completed courses, your GPA, and general tracking of your progress right through program completion.

Frequently Asked Questions

Account Hold

What should I do if I have a hold on my account?

If you have a "hold" on your account, you should contact the Registrar's Office to determine why. It might be that you have an unpaid bill or you haven't provided the health center with the appropriate immunization information. You need to resolve any issues and have the hold removed in order to register for classes.

Change/Declare CESS Program

How do I declare or change programs within the College of Education and Social Services?

Once you are prepared to declare or change your major, go to Forms for Students and see "Declare or Change Your Major, Minor, Concentration, or College."

How do I make changes to my academic program?

CESS uses a Request Form process so that students have an opportunity to submit a written request with their rationale to support the requested change. Students will receive an email with the outcome of the request.

Credits / Withdrawals / Program Completion

Can a course fulfill more than one requirement in my program?

Yes. Courses can count toward a general education or university requirement, while also counting toward a major or minor requirement. However, please note that when one course is used to fulfill two requirements, you only receive the credits once.

If I repeat a course and get a passing grade both times, will they both count toward my total credits required for program completion/graduation?

Students who are enrolled in programs that have minimum grade requirements for specific courses sometimes complete a course more than once to achieve the required minimum grade. Both courses will be included in your grade point average, but the credits will only be counted once toward program completion.

How do I enroll in more than 19 credits if I need additional credits?

Complete the Request to Enroll in More than 19 Credits form. If approved, a maximum credits override is processed and you can add the additional credit(s) to your schedule. Please note that you will be charged an additional amount for any credit over 19.

Are there ramifications associated with enrolling in less than full-time (12 credits)?

There may be financial ramifications for students who receive financial aid.  Please be sure to discuss this with Student Financial Services. Students who are covered by medical insurance that requires "full-time enrollment" likely won't be eligible for insurance coverage by that policy. Also, attending part time will have an impact on your ability to graduate in four years.

If you are thinking of dropping courses, please check in with your advisor or student services before making your decision.

Is it possible for me to study abroad without lengthening the time it takes to reach program completion?

Yes. Many students have studied abroad without extending their programs, but it requires planning. You and your advisor should review your four-year plan to determine when is the best time to study abroad.

How do I withdraw from a course?

Information about withdrawing from a course can be found on the Registrar's Frequently Asked Questions page under Add/Drop/Withdraw.

How do I withdraw from a course after the withdrawal period?

Late withdrawals are not approved unless there are medical reasons or extenuating circumstances beyond your control. Failing a course is not considered a good reason for a late withdrawal. Please submit a request to CESS Student Services at outlining your reasons to be considered for a late withdrawal.

Illness/Missing Class

How do I notify faculty when I am ill?

If you are missing classes for one day, e-mail your professor directly. Provide your name, your course and section, and explain that you are missing class due to illness. If the faculty teaching the course requires you to have a note from your Dean, email CESS Student Services at We typically do not write notes for single-day absences, but if a faculty requires one, please contact us.

If you will be missing several days of classes due to illness or a crisis, contact CESS Student Services at 802-656-3468 or and we will notify your faculty for you. Please work with your faculty and determine a timeline for completing your work. We can recommend that your absences be excused, but the faculty teaching your courses make the final decision.


How do I transfer into CESS — OR — how do I transfer into another UVM school/college?

To transfer in or out of a CESS program, see Undergraduate Internal Transfers Guidelines.

How do I transfer courses to UVM/CESS?

If you plan to take courses at a place other than UVM to fulfill requirements for your program at UVM, please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs at PRIOR to enrolling in outside courses to ensure that the classes will a) transfer back to UVM, and b) transfer in a way that meets your needs. (For example, making sure that they match a specific course that you may need for your major.)

If either the prefix or the number doesn't match the requirement you are attempting to fulfill, you must complete a CESS Request Form for approval to have it fulfill a specific requirement in your program. Student Services will facilitate the request for you and respond via email.

If I have a transfer credit or Advanced Placement credit that transfers as a course I have already completed at UVM, can I get credit both times?

No. You may only earn the credit once, so you need to be very careful not to register for a course at UVM that has already been completed elsewhere and transferred to UVM.

Degree Audit and Important Steps for Success

Access and become familiar with your Degree Audit. The Degree Audit system tracks your academic requirements and helps monitor your program progression.

Schedule an appointment to meet with your academic advisor. Your academic advisor will help you navigate course requirements and help ensure your academic success. 

Develop your four-year plan with your advisor. By creating a four-year plan, you can look ahead and plan for your future coursework. This will help you to understand specific program benchmarks and requirements.

Review your Degree Audit. Your academic record is ultimately yours, and it is your responsibility to make sure you are on track to meet all of the program requirements in order to graduate. Utilize your Degree Audit to keep track of your progression through the program. If there are any discrepancies, work with your advisor or student services office to resolve them.

Complete the Praxis Core requirement (if you are in a Teacher Preparation program). Your Praxis Core status is recorded on your Degree Audit.  In order to progress into your upper level course work, you must have passing Praxis Core scores on file.

Continue to meet with your advisor. Keep working with your advisor to help accomplish your academic goals. Your advisor can help you to plan for study abroad opportunities, answer any questions you have about the program and help monitor your progression towards graduation.

Submit your Intent to Graduate form. At the start of your senior year, you need to submit your Intent to Graduate form online, indicating when you plan to graduate. This form must be received and approved by the Student Services Office in the semester prior to when you plan to graduate.

Contact Us

540 Waterman Building

Phone: (802) 656-3468

The CESS Office of Student Services business hours are 8:30 am – 4:30 pm ET Monday-Friday. We are here to help!

Please note if you are not feeling well or experiencing symptoms of a respiratory illness, please do not visit the office in-person. We are happy to schedule a phone or Microsoft Teams virtual appointment.

Make an Appointment