What is required to receive a UVM recommendation for license?

  • Meet all individual program benchmarks/requirements. Your program handbook outlines all benchmarks/requirements.
  • Pass the PRAXIS Core test or an approved alternative.
  • Pass the Praxis II exam for your discipline.
  • Earn a grade of B or better in your student teaching internship.
  • Earn a passing portfolio score.
  • Earn an overall GPA of 3.00 or higher.

What professional exams are required to earn a UVM recommendation for license?

All students enrolled in UVM Teacher Education programs are required to pass each section of the PRAXIS Core test or an approved alternative (PRAXIS I, ACT, SAT or GRE). Please consult your program handbook for any other required tests based on individual programs.

PRAXIS CORE, ACT, SAT or GRE tests will be accepted for recommendation for license by the College of Education and Social Services. These tests will also be accepted for initial licensing by the Vermont Agency of Education. NOTE: Each test has a specific pass score that must be met to qualify for usage.

Students are required to pass the appropriate Praxis II exam for their area of endorsement.

A list of the Praxis Core and Praxis II exams, along with the passing scores are available on the Vermont Agency of Education Website under "Vermont's Testing Requirments for Educator Licensure".

*Please review your Degree Audit, consult your advisor or contact CESS Student Services at cessstsv@uvm.edu if you have further questions.

What professional exams do I take in order to receive my initial teaching license?

In addition to the PRAXIS Core or approved alternative test, students who plan to apply for license in VT must pass a subject-based PRAXIS II exam to be eligible for an initial license.

Who issues the initial teaching license?

Only state agencies can issue teaching licenses. In VT, licenses are issued through the Vermont State Agency of Education. Other states have similar agencies (i.e. Connecticut State Department of Education).

What is included in the recommendation for license that is applied to the transcript?

Effective May 2018, the recommendation for license states that you have successfully completed a NASDTEC, ICC, state approved and CAEP accredited program, indicating that you are eligible for licensure. The recommendation also includes the subject area(s) for your endorsement(s).  Below are a few examples:

This student has completed a Vermont State approved educator preparation program and is recommended for Vermont licensure in Elementary Education (Kindergarten to Grade 6). This program is CAEP accredited, and NASDTEC, ICC approved.

This student has completed a Vermont State approved educator preparation program and is recommended for Vermont licensure in Secondary Education: Math (Grade 7 to 12). This program is CAEP accredited, and NASDTEC, ICC approved.


What do NASDTEC, ICC, state approved and CAEP accredited mean?

The Vermont State Agency of Education (AOE) is a member of NASDTEC (National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification) and the Interstate Contract (reciprocity agreement). Membership in NASDTEC and participation in the Contract mean that students who successfully complete teacher education programs approved by the Vermont State Agency of Education enjoy reciprocity with other states that also participate in the agreement. The teacher education programs at the University of Vermont have been evaluated and approved by the VT AOE. Teacher education programs at the University of Vermont also hold the distinction of meeting the national standards set forth by CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation ) and are therefore CAEP accredited. Teacher Education programs at the University of Vermont are also recognized as meeting all standards as administered by the Vermont Standards Board for Professional Educators.

What is the Interstate Contract (reciprocity agreement) agreement?

The reciprocity agreement, arranged by NASDTEC, is a collection of over 50 individual agreements by states and Canadian provinces. Each individual "agreement" is a statement by that state or jurisdiction outlining which other states' educator certificates will be accepted by that state. It is not necessarily "full" reciprocity. The educator may have to complete additional requirements, such as coursework, assessments, or classroom experience, before receiving a full professional certificate in the new state.

The list of specific states and Canadian provinces that participate in the agreement is available at: http://www.nasdtec.net/?page=Interstate
Under “ NASDTEC Interstate Agreement Documents” click on “Signatories to NASDTEC Interstate Agreement”

When will the recommendation for license appear of my transcript?

The recommendation is added to the transcript after your degree has been conferred, and all licensure requirements are met. Undergraduate degrees are conferred in September, January and May.

How can I check my transcript for the recommendation?

You can view your UVM unofficial transcript through the myUVM system. The recommendation will appear on the last page near the bottom.

How do I apply for a license?

Applications for Vermont license are available from the Vermont State Agency of Education website: http://education.vermont.gov/

For applications out side of Vermont, please consult the specific State Agency/Department of Education website.

Once I apply for my license, how long will it take before I receive it?

This differs from state to state depending on staffing and the volume of applications received. It is highly encouraged to apply as soon as the recommendation for endorsement appears on your transcript.

Can I begin applying for teaching positions before I receive my license?

Yes, you may apply for teaching positions without having the actual license. However you typically cannot begin teaching without your license.

If I submitted my fingerprints and completed the Criminal Record Check (CRC) during an earlier semester (e.g. teaching internship), do I need to complete the process and pay the fee a second time?

The Agency of Education requires that a candidate complete a new criminal record check (CRC) at the time of application for license.  (Prior CRC's that were completed for student teaching or prior employment do not fulfill the requirement.)  The instructions for a new CRC are outlined on the online Agency of Education license application form. 


Patrick Halladay, Director of Educator Licensure

Email: Patrick.Halladay@uvm.edu