The UVM School of the Arts is a welcoming community of students, faculty, and staff members in the academic areas of Music, Theatre, Dance, Art, and Art History, and affiliated programs in Creative Writing and Film and Television Studies. We are UVM’s home for learning, discovery, collaboration, inclusivity, and innovation in creative practice. We train and mentor our students to prepare them for real world challenges as makers, cultural consumers, and informed global citizens. We integrate artistic practices and a diversity of creative voices into the academic mission of the University through mobilization of resources, faculty and student support, collaborations with other disciplines, programs and academic units, and through partnerships and outreach to communities across the state of Vermont and beyond.
The School of the Arts was instituted on July 1, 2022. The initiative was faculty-driven and inspired as a means by which we could increase collaborations across disciplines and better prepare our students through internships, new courses, and other professional development opportunities. The unity of the programs within the SoA aligns with contemporary art-making practices across the fine and performing arts.
- To bring together the arts units at UVM in a cohesive way, while also respecting and supporting our differences
- To streamline efforts in raising awareness for arts related events on campus
- To foster an artistic community that brings UVM arts faculty and students together in shared interests
- To align with UVM’s land grant mission in serving and engaging the local community
- To advance fundraising for arts units in the College of Arts and Sciences