Structure of advising
All advisors hold regular office hours; please check the online list to see when your advisor is available and to find contact information to arrange an appointment.
Advisor changes: leaves or sabbaticals
If your advisor goes on sabbatical or leave, you will be assigned temporarily to another faculty member until your advisor returns. In such cases the department’s business administrator will email you to let you know who your acting advisor is.
Advisor changes: student initiated
If for whatever reason you would like to change your advisor, please contact the department chair first.
Advising in geography: Student Responsibilities
- To keep your advisor informed about changes in your academic progress, course selection, and academic and career goals.
- To be familiar with the requirements of the major and to keep up to date with course offerings.
- To understand that your advisor can suggest, recommend, remind you of rules and regulations, but that you have the primary responsibility for meeting program and degree requirements.
- To keep your advisor informed in a timely fashion when personal issues arise that interfere with academic progress, so that 1) your advisor can refer you to the appropriate campus resources which can help you, and 2) so that your advisor has enough facts about your situation to be able to assess your academic progress fairly.
- To come prepared to your meetings with your advisor.